chapter 69

“(Y/N), I know there is not a lot of time before our ship departs, but there’s something I’d like you to try.” Avdol said, looking over at you.

You had only been standing around with the other crusaders for about 10 minutes. Polnareff had gone off somewhere by himself, and Joseph and Jotaro went off to look for them. Avdol and you decided to stay near the harbor and wait until they were able to retrieve Polnareff.

“Oh?” your interest was immediately piqued by his words. In the past, the couple of things he wanted you to try had been delicious, so you certainly wouldn't pass up an opportunity to try something new, especially when it was Avdol who recommended it! “I’d love to, what is it?”

“It’s called Hawashi.” Said Avdol, leading the way to a small food cart nearby, “It’s a traditional Egyptian dish. It’s a pita stuffed with minced meat and spiced with onions, pepper, parsley, and occasionally chilies.”

“Sounds amazing” you said. As you got closer to the food-cart, you were able to smell the food wafting up through the steam. “It smells amazing too.” you said with a laugh, peering at the food from where you were standing.

Avdol approached the man behind the cart, ordering two servings of Hawashi. The man behind the cart made your food, handing it over to Avdol, who paid for it, then handed you yours.

“You can eat it with your hands.” Said Avdol, “It’s a convenient food for on the go.” He lifted the Hawashi to his mouth, taking a bite out of it.

You mirrored his actions, testing to make sure it wasn’t too hot before taking a bite of it. Flavor and spices explode against your tongue. It wasn’t too spicy, but it certainly wasn’t mild either. It was a perfect balance. The meat was flavorful, and perfectly salted. It was one of the best meals you’d had this entire trip. 

“This is amazing!” you said after finishing that bite.

Avdol chuckled, “I thought you might like it.” he said, smiling at you. “This used to be one of my favorites when I lived here.”

Right, Avdol was Egyptian.

“So, how long did you live here for?” you asked, smiling up at him.

“Mmh… I lived here for most of my life. I read fortunes for both tourists and locals. I pride myself in being able to read people’s fortunes accurately.” he said with a nod. “There are many people who don’t know how to read the cards correctly.” he said, shaking his head slightly.

“And you do?” you asked, tilting your head.

He paused, before laughing, “No, I would hardly call myself an expert. There are many who have much more experience than I do when it comes to reading tarot.”

You paused for a moment. Hey… maybe Avdol would read your future for you! It sounded like something that might be fun to see! “Hey, could you read my fortune?” you asked.

“I… don't usually like to read tarots during a time like this.” Avdol said, but when he saw how excited you looked, he let out a sigh, nodding, “Sure. but we won’t look too deep into the cards, the future is too uncertain during a mission.” he said, “Let’s find a place to sit.”

You nodded, and followed him over to a grassy area that was a little more secluded. Avdol sat cross-legged on the ground, and you did the same, sitting across from him. He pulled out a mat, setting it between the two of you.

“So, how exactly does this work?” you asked, looking down at the mat.

“Well, I’ll shuffle the cards,” Said Avdol as he pulled the deck out, starting to shuffle them, “and then I’ll need you to touch the deck.” he said, extending the pile towards you.

You reached out, placing your fingertips against the smooth surface of the cards.

“Perfect, we’ll do a three card spread today.” he said, setting the cards down on the mat. He cut the deck in half, taking the lower set of cards and setting it on top, then pulled three cards from the deck, placing them face down between you.

“Alright, this is your prediction.” Avdol said.

He flipped the first card.

It read Knight Of Swords.

He flipped the second card.

It read The Tower.

Avdol’s hand hesitated over the third card. You looked up at him, finding his features overcome with worry.

“Avdol?” you asked, tilting your head at him, “What’s wrong?”

Avdol looked up at you sharply, he forced a smile, “It’s nothing, I apologize…” he put his hand over top of the third card, “... I wonder what is taking the others so long?” he muttered.

You were starting to worry a bit as well, why wasn’t he flipping your last card?

Avdol glanced around one last time before letting out a sigh.

He flipped the last card.

It read Death XIII.

You went pale, looking up at Avdol, “Death? What does that mean? Am I going to die?” you asked.

Avdol's brow was furrowed, but he looked over at you, “No… Death XIII doesn’t necessarily mean death. It more often signifies a rebirth.” he said.

“So… being reborn… What does that mean?” you asked.

“Well, the thing about tarot cards is that they can mean a lot of things. Rebirth can just mean that you have a big change coming in your life… that could mean anything.” he said, reassuring you.

In the distance, you heard the ferries whistle.

“Mh. that’s our boat. Let’s get going.” said Avdol, gathering his things and getting up.

You got up as well, following the other man.