Come To Me

The bell of the small magazine shop rang as Anni-Frid left the place with two newspapers in hand. As she told mormor earlier, she went to buy the newspaper to look for a job in the employment section, she could apply for anything; waitress, dishwasher, receptionist, babysitter, although age could represent an impediment. The question is to get a job as soon as possible since the expenses of the house were shared between both; she and Agny, and even though her grandmother said she shouldn't worry about it, Anni-Frid felt pressured and worried.

Anni-Frid put the newspapers in her brown bag and hugged herself to move through the crowd. It was a cloudy afternoon but still people did not miss the opportunity to go for a walk in Gamla Stan, the heart of Stockholm. To tell the truth she loved it too, it was a beautifully colorful place with medieval Norse architecture. All around was ecstasy to view.

She looked for a bench in the main square; Most of them were occupied but she didn't give up until she found one in front of an old red building. Anni-Frid sat down and took out the newspapers and a bookmark, better to start the search now, besides, she had to kill time while she waited for her date. An hour ago Benny called to meet this afternoon, and they agreed to meet in the plaza when he found out where she would be. According to Benny, he would take her to one of his favorite cafeteria.

She read carefully as the world followed its course around her. There were indeed many vacancies but all with specific requirements that she did not meet; starting with a college degree. Anni-Frid pursed her lips as she reached the bottom of the first page and found nothing for her, she turned the page and continued reading. Something had to show up. Hands on her knees startled her and made her jump onto her spot.

"Hey, it's me!" Benny said quickly realizing how scared she got. She crumpled up the newspaper she was holding and looked at him with wide eyes.

"Benny, I almost had a heart attack!" She claimed him, bringing her hands to her chest as her heart suddenly pounded with adrenaline.

"I'm sorry," Benny looked at her worriedly and patted her knees. He was kneeling in front of her. "I didn't want to scare you but I didn't want to distract you either."

"Distract me next time."

It seemed that she was not in a good mood. Benny nodded and finally got back up to sit next to her on the bench. "Has it been long since you arrived?"

"Not much." Anni-Frid smoothed out the newspaper, accidentally crumpled it. "First I went on an errand."

"And you finished?"

"Yes, I'm free now."

"Well, then there's no need to wait." Benny stood up and held out a hand.

"You know, we can go to my house for coffee," she suggested jokingly as she stuffed the newspaper back into the bag. The truth is that she expected him to accept, going to the cafeteria was not considered in the list of expenses at the moment and taking into account that she was unemployed and with little recourse, the best thing was to save money as much as possible.

"Agny's coffee is delicious, but this time I feel like another coffee." He took her hand and pulled her close, very close to him, her hands were cold. "You're cold."

"I'm cold." She responded with a nervous giggle. Her heart started beating fast again but this time because of their closeness.

Benny caressed the torso of her hands with his thumbs and gently planted a kiss on the tip of her nose, a gesture that warmed them both. Anni-Frid closed her eyes and the butterflies in her stomach appeared, her worries disappeared in that instant. His lips descended and, with the same subtlety, they settled gently on her, in an innocent kiss. The couple kissed in the square while people passed by, most of them oblivious to the scene and a few curious looking at them with complicity; after all it was a young couple in love.