Chapter 1

Chapter 1 

"Happy birthday Jake!"

"Happy sixteenth birthday!"

Mia and Judy Toms were grinning by the time Jake blows up his last 16th candle standing.

Light smoke arose from where Jake’s cake stood: a chocolate cake decorated with chocolates and red syrup on the middle saying: Happy Birthday Jake! Love mom and Mia.

            “I’m so happy.” Judy Toms forcefully smooches him on the cheek.

            “Mom.” said Jake in an irritated tone, blushing.

"Come on Jake cut it!” Mia ordered, hastily grabbing a small kitchen knife from the table and handed it to Jake.

“Alright,” Jake rolls his eyes and grabs the small kitchen knife.

Jake couldn’t believe that he has grown so much over these sixteen years. His small thin arms have turned to long and sturdy arms; his shoulders broaden up a bit and he didn’t realise that he has grown to 6’2, becoming the giant boy of the house.

But he didn’t realised why he didn’t have his mother’s caramel brown hair and green eyes. He knew he was an orphan and he knew that he didn’t belong to this family. He couldn’t remember how he got into this family anyway, all he could remember is the wide puffy clouds and the fluctuate waves of the sea.

When he looks at the mirror, all he can see is a tall boy with round brown eyes(because of the contact lens), round face, messy short dark brown hair and cream skin looking back at him.

After the birthday celebration, Jake’s mother collects the dirty dishes and puts them on the sink. Mia stays in the living room, watching her favourite anime Death Note with her eyes focused on the screen. Mia looks just like Judy; round green eyes, short caramel hair, and petite fingers and toes while Judy looks muscled and has strong sturdy arms and legs because she’s a Judo teacher in Japan, which reminds Jake of a sad trip that she will be leaving for tomorrow because of her work.

 “Tired Jake?” asked Judy while collecting the dirty dishes

“A little.” said Jake.

“I’m sorry if this is just a small party, you would want to go to the mall or so—”

“No mom, it’s ok. I’m glad I got to see you guys cheering me on.” said Jake, giving her a weak smile and turns around, going upstairs.

Jake feels bad for his mother, after his dad died 8 years ago, his mom would have to go abroad just to make a living. It wasn’t his fault—or was it? It was his own cursed eyes, the one who makes a person die in a split second. His father would hunt him now, but after he casted that barrier 4 years ago, there’s no way a ghost could enter the room. But then again, whenever Jake goes outside, he never got to meet his father again even if he has a third eye.

Removing that topic out of his head, Jake returns upstairs and heading to his room soothing his dark brown hair with his hand. But when he stops in front of his front bedroom door, he felt a capricious aura. Jake was wearing his white polo shirt unbuttoned, showing half of his collar bone and black jeans. But today is a different day, his birthday was held on Sunday and sadly his mom will leave for Japan tomorrow to work as a Judo teacher. Feeling that something was wrong inside the room, he checks the yellow thin-fabric paper hanging on top of his door—luckily it was still there, untouched but he thought deeply that the aura was more on a ghost aura. Still no spirits have entered the house when he casted it 3 years ago, maybe it’s just something that’s bugging him because it’s his birthday today?