Chapter 12

Chapter 12

After Rebecca finally recovers from her hysteria, Jake and Tim offers her to sit down one of the couches and lets her take some air. After 20 minutes of gathering air again, Rebecca sits up, interrupting Gary’s munching of coffee candies and Apple’s humming. Carefully Rebecca hands him her old fashioned camera that seems worn out. Tim and the others crowded behind Jake as he pushed the play button.

            From beginning to the end, the video’s high quality and vivid images gives the three a brief explanation. After the video was done, Jake snaps it shut and hands it to Rebecca, lowering her head grimly. Apple slides to where she used to, crossing her pale white legs and Gary moves a little beside Jake to give him space while Tim uncomfortably sits on top of the couch.

“So this is Ben’s manager?” said Jake first, breaking the silence.

Rebecca nods grimly. “He’s also Ben’s father, but Ben escaped 2 years ago because of him.”

“Why what happened?” asked Gary hastily.

Rebecca takes a deep breath and exhales. “When Ben was a little boy, he was a very talented person.” Apple snapped to her attention. Rebecca continued. “He was very popular in his school because he can sing, dance, draw, study—everything. “

“—Because of the Heavenly Talented,” Tim added. “I read about it, says that he can steal someone’s skill by touching that person, also he can transfer that skill to someone else.”

“That’s cheating!” Apple protested, her curly long lashes fluttering.

“I know, that’s why it’s called the Heavenly Talented.” Tim turns to her attention.

“Please continue Rebecca.” Jake completely ignores them.

“But….” Rebecca shivered. “When Ben was still a little kid, not yet has gained his power, she often calls him useless and sometimes…she would beat him up.”

“Why.” Emie said in a whisper.

“I don’t know…” Rebecca shrugged. “Then one day when his mother was going to beat him up again, calling him useless. Ben got his power, and despite his anger, he learns to shoot a gun and…” Rebecca bursts into a sob.

“Then what?” Jake urged.

“He didn’t mean to kill her…” Rebecca shook her head. “He didn’t mean to shoot her in the forehead.”

            Everyone gasped when she said that last sentence. All of them were silent once more, their eyes widen, their heart drumming louder and louder. How did Ben have to shoot a woman in a forehead? Ben’s crime is much worse than Jake’s. He couldn’t think of a much horrible childhood experience. Everyone’s faces were identical, only Apple broke the silence; her mean attitude came back to her again.

“How rude.” Apple said in a rude manner.

“Shh!” Gary hisses through his teeth.

Rebecca sobs louder. “His father, the witness, saw everything.” Her voice shattering and losing its vivid tone, “Instead of calling the police, he praises Ben and told him that he also wanted her dead for a long time either.

“What the—”

“At school people call him the perfectionist because of his power. But Ben wasn’t happy about it, because people treated him like God.” Rebecca controlled herself and wipes the tears with her carefree hands. “Everyone gets to play with him, everyone gets to chat with him…but Ben hated that. He just wanted to be a little boy again.” She continued, everyone began to listen attentively. “But Ben’s power got the best of him; he was admitted to a musical company when his father knew that his son was a very special boy. But unfortunately, all he wanted is to be rich, use Ben as the source of making money because of his power. After that Ben quitted school and began to be admitted to those musical companies who wanted him.” Rebecca coughed and continued, shivering. “But then….”