Chapter One- Hospitality

DUSTIN

"Dustin," a voice whispers beside me. "Dustin."

My eyes are heavy when I try to open them, but I manage to awaken my senses and look around the small room I'm currently in. The walls are white and the shiny tile matches them, there are a few machines to my left and a tube going into my arm. I look down and notice that I'm wearing a white gown with small, purple flowers scattered about on it. A gasp escapes my lips when I realize I'm on a bed- a hospital bed.

When I look to my right, my mother is sitting there with her posture perfect. She has at least a pound of makeup on and is wrapped in what I assume is a new dress. The dress is blue with a squared neckline, she's wearing a white cardigan over it to complete her unreasonably fancy outfit.

My mother leans in and says, "I swear to God, Dustin Luke, if you ever- ever- pull something like this again, you will not be considered my son. I have cared for you, fed you, sheltered you, and gave you clothes and you repay me like this? After all of the things I have done for you, you try to ruin my reputation? Do you know how bad that'll make me- us look? I can't-" she's cut off by someone entering the room.

A slender man who seems to be in his mid-thirties walks in wearing a white coat. "Oh," he grabs a clipboard from the shelf by the door as he makes his way toward me. "you're awake."

My mom plasters on her award-winning fake smile, the man returning the gesture with a somewhat charming grin. "I know," she begins, dabbing at the corners of her eyes with her finger tips. "I couldn't believe it either. I was beginning to think he wasn't going to make it."

I look at her in total disgust. "Psh, as if you would give shit." I scoff and the doctor looks at me with pure sympathy in his eyes. "Can we just leave?"

"Honey," she says in a stupid tone and places her hand on mine. I shift uncomfortably and snatch my hand away. Something flashes in her eyes and her smile fades or a moment. "That is no way to be talking in a hospital, but yes, I would care. I love you with all my heart and would be a train wreck without you." Her smile creeps back onto her face and she dabs her eyes once more.

I laugh. "Whatever."

She sighs but then says, "let's go home." There's something on the edge of her voice, something cold.

"Alright," doctor pretty boy pipes up. "I'll check your stability and you can go on out."

"Fuck that," I say once the door closes behind him. I reach for the IV that's injected into my arm but my mother stops me before I can get a hold of it.

"Dustin," she hisses. "Think about what we would look like if the doctor came back and your IV was ripped out; think about how horrible that would make us look."

"No, Mother, you're thinking about how horrible that'd make you look. Quite frankly, I don't give a damn."

"Whatever," she snaps but then adds, "don't take your IV out yet. Wait for him to come back."

I roll my eyes and lean back into the uncomfortable hospital bed. Thoughts of Charlotte play through my mind. Charlotte.

I wonder if she's been here. Has she been with me?

"Uhm.." I look down and pick at my fingers. "Has Charlotte visited me?"

My mother looks at me with something different in her eyes- pity almost. "Honey," she softens. "Charlotte's dead."

My chest goes cold and I feel my now icy blood drain from my cheeks. "What?" I had just had a dream that she committed suicide randomly, now this. Strange.