III: An Unlikely Change

"So, do you have any special skills, Steph?"

"I can cook a pretty good omelette!"

"How you have survived for this long is beyond me."

Kris and Steph were casually sitting on the table (after pushing all the rubbish aside), and Kris wanted to learn more about Steph as her temporary roommate. So far, Kris learned that Steph didn't have any "special skills" of any kind. Most of her skills come from tricking people and finding ways to bullshit her way through jobs. Though, Kris couldn't help the feeling Steph wasn't telling her the whole truth. In her mind, she couldn't fathom a person not having any skills or unique qualities at all.

There had to be something that she was hiding from her.

"Well, Steph, are there any other home life skills you have?" Kris looked like she was about to give up.

Steph sighed heavily. "Why are you making such a big deal out of having a skill? Can't I just be fun to please you?"

Ignoring that last question, Kris replied, "If we're going to live together, we have to find a way to make ends meet. We can't just live like this."

"You make it sound like I have to get a job."

"That's precisely what I'm saying."

Steph sighed again.

"At the very least, what would you want to do? I know you said you really don't have any hobbies or interest, but there has to be something you to do for a job. Actually, what was your job before? I remember you mentioned it earlier."

In a sombre expression, she only stated, "I would rather not talk about it. But have you ever had a job?"

"Of course. I won't have this flat if I didn't have some source of income."

"Well, Mrs. Experience, what jobs have you had?"

"Only basic ones. I've worked in restaurants, retail, cruise ships, and a clinic."

"You worked in a clinic?"

"An illegally one, if you count them."

"Oh, oh, you're a naughty girl."

Kris chuckled at that, but she couldn't shake off this strange feeling. She felt that she was giving more than receiving, and Kris needed to know more about Steph if they were to live with each other. Instead, she decided to go with another approach.

"Hey, Steph, how about we go to the bank to get that money to pay off the rent?"

"Sure, but why both of us together?" She replied confused.

"Well, I thought maybe we could go around town. If we're going to live together, the least we can do is hang out."

Steph didn't seem too thrilled. Although, she got up and headed her way to the door.

"I guess that would make sense. Plus, I need some new clothes. This suit is not as comfortable as I thought."

"Knew it."

"Shut it."

It was an unusually sunny day in Liverpool. The afternoon had already arrived, but it felt like a bright morning for Kris and Steph. They were disjointed from the crowd, with Steph, still in her suit, and Kris, sweating away in her hoodie. Neither had any form of transportation, yet Steph did have money on her person to pay for a bus ticket, at the very least.

People stared at Kris, mostly, but went back to their bus. Kris didn't mind nor cared for the attention. Instead, she was focused on what to do during their outing. She could take her to the cinema or park, but she had no idea what she would like. Kris started to realise how bad of an idea this was.