V: An Unlikely Job

Kris had always struggled with computers, but she managed to work through this confusing piece of tech. Currently, she was attempting to do an online search for job applications. At first, Kris didn't know what to think about this method until it turned out pretty helpful. She was finding jobs in all types of areas she never expected to. Plus, with an excellent resume like hers, she saw no reason a company wouldn't hire her.

That is what she thought until she realised Kris didn't have formal clothing or experience for any job she applied to.

They were all office jobs or local government, but none of her experience as a waiter or cashier would help her.

Nevertheless, she thought she could try. If it doesn't work out, she could always apply for jobs similar to her previous ones again.

Besides, she had a different concern to worry about.

Steph.

See, after hearing she found a job for Steph, she did not like it.

Not one bit.

She constantly complained throughout yesterday, begging Kris not to make her work, yet it all fell on deaf ears.

Kris didn't like working as much as the next person, but she did not like being a bum or supporting one. Perhaps it was because of her childhood, but growing up, it didn't matter if your job was to lick the dirt off people's shoes or stare at a tree in case animals moved on someone's property. As long as you were getting paid, she respected it highly for their service.

So seeing Steph act like this wasn't that convincing to her.

"C'mon Steph, it'll be fine. You're working for my brother. I know that place in and out, and it's not that hard of a job."

Kris had said that to calm Steph's intense shaking, but it only worsened with that comment. "But just because you're his sister, doesn't mean I'll be treated the same! What if he wants me to do d-dirty stuff or something?"

"If that happens, I'll punch him in the face. Besides, he's not the type of person do that." Kris sighed. Though, Steph's mentioning that confused her, considering what she attempted to do that morning two days ago.

"I just... I'm scared of doing something like this so soon. I wasn't even meant to be alive right now..." She trailed off, whimsically thinking of death.

Kris could empathise.

She turned around and held a finger of Steph's (Kris attempted to grab her whole hand but settled for a finger). "I know how hard it is to live, but it's not like I was supposed to be alive today either."

"Then why don't we kill ourselves together? Why do you insist on living, especially me living."

Kris was caught off guard by the question.

It was a thought nagging her at the back of her mind.

'Why not die with this person? Why not end it as you planned? Why still live on?'

For the past two days, Kris struggled to answer that being. Even though she always answered it, the being would never take her answers each and every time. And how easy it would be to coordinate a new suicidal plan with Steph feels ever so tempting. She was definitely eager to do so and willing as well.

Any obstacle that came their way would crumble like sand if they worked together.

Then she thought about the moments between the two. Those soothing, melancholic feelings that Kris unconsciously began to long for with Steph.

Someone that she understood on a deep level.

Perhaps they never felt or experienced the same moments, but that emotional tie which connected them was enough for her.