Chapter Six: Heist Sorta Gals

He had only let Sarah run from him when they were both out of the building. He had apologized profusely in the elevator on the way down but it hadn't seemed to register. Her white face and frightened eyes had kept recurring to him on the way home. Poor kid.

When the door creaks closed behind him, he's surprised to find Klaus sitting alone in the corner of the entrance hall. He's resting a slightly-tilted beer on his knee.

"Hey little bro. How did it go?"

Five produces a pen-drive from his jean pockets and indicates a paper file under his arm.

"I found pretty much what I expected to. Just got to do some more digging and then I blow the whistle."

"Cool."

"Santi asleep?"

"Yeah. Little guy was bushed." Klaus seems odd to Five. Thoughtful. There's none of the usual glint in his eye.

"I'm going to update the family later on. I think I'm going to need the team. Will you be here?"

"Sure."

He strolls as if towards the living room but, sensing it's empty, turns back to Klaus.

"Where is she?"

"Probably packing."

Five feels like his heart has dropped into his stomach. Surely not? You hadn't been pleased, but...

"What do you mean."

"Nah. She's working out."

"Oh."

Five shrugs out of the flannel shirt and holds it over his arm, regarding Klaus a little.

"You got something to say to me Klaus?"

He meets his gaze and holds it. Five shifts his eyes first. This, it seems, prompts Klaus to speak.

He laughs, "You really fucked up there, man."

"Really? Wow- I'm so glad you told me. I spent the whole day thinking 'Gee, I wonder what Klaus thinks about this?'"

"Kinda hard not to give a shit when I have her crying in the living room over how shitty you treat her. She's my friend and you're my brother."

Five steps towards him, hands going into his pockets and his jaw setting.

"If she's upset, then she can come to me."

"Well didn't she try that? After your little 'heart-to-heart' with Santi. When you told him her and everyone who isn't like us is 'insignificant'. Great job there, by the way."

"I never said that. Nobody's insignificant."

"Whatever you said, it made her feel this tall", he holds his thumb and forefinger within an inch of one another, "and then today too?"

"She knows how I feel. I'm protecting her." He steps forward, his neck jerking as he speaks. Always a sign of danger.

"Exactly! She doesn't want to just be protected, maybe she wants to be treated like an equal!"

Five breathes hard through his nose, "Just stay out of this."

Klaus, now angry in a way uncommon to him, draws himself up. Sometimes, the truth hurts.

"If you can't take her seriously, maybe you gotta rethink the 'ethics' of sniffing her panties. She is young enough to be your daughter."

Five blinks to within an inch of Klaus, grabbing him by the collar and dashing him off the chair. Klaus gives a small yell of pain as the tiled floor makes contact with his shoulder. Five stands over him, breathing like a bull, then pivots a little, staring at the wall to his right rather than continue to look at Klaus.