Chapter Eleven: Partners

"Do I look ok?"

You tilt your head a little and look him up and down

"eh..."

"That good?" He sighs.

He looks in the mirror, finding it strange to be back in the Academy uniform, albeit the tight-fitting adult jumpsuit he had never grown into before getting lost in the future. The unworn material squeaks a little as he moves.

"You look the part...though it's a little like fetish-wear. The mask doesn't help."

"Yeah, well-" he looks you up and down, clearly trying to formulate a return jab about your choice of clothing. Apparently, he can't think of one so changes tactic:

"That's a disturbing glimpse into your mind."

You take a step closer to him, putting your mouth by his ear and running a finger down his arm.

"Oh Five, there's plenty more disturbing stuff going on in there."

He gives a single hum of laughter, looking down at his boots. Almost like he's...nervous? You can't see his eyes behind the mask, but the flush in his cheek gives you the idea he might even be a little flustered. He turns to the armory closet and roots in an interior drawer. He emerges with a second domino mask.

"Will you wear this for me?"

"Why?"

"It shields your identity a little. And shows you're with us. One of us."

You look up at him, trying to divine his expression. His brow is clear, countenance open and the set of his mouth leads you to suspect penetrating earnestness behind his own mask.

You go to take it from him but he places it over your eyes himself and then strokes a two fingers down your nose.

"Perfect...well, we better get going."

You let him walk a couple of steps ahead of you. The jumpsuit's material clings to him. You lower your voice to a lecherous drawl, as if you're a catcalling drunk peeping out from behind a dumpster.

"Your ass looks great in that,"

"Oh, shut up."

"So...round. Looks like it's trying to eat that jumpsuit."

He speeds up a little. You can see the color in his cheeks even from behind.

"Mmm, you just keep on walking, boy"

You, Sloane and the four Umbrellas present lined up in front of the Academy steps. All except you fall into a parade rest as if it's the most natural thing in the world. Together, you face the surprisingly large number of press and bystanders gathered in front of the compound- TV cameras too. If the recent press attention orchestrated by JUICED had done anything, it had got the Umbrella Academy back in the headlines. Ironic really.

It had been decided that Luther should speak first. The 'Number One' that most people remembered. He looks down at his cue cards.

"Uh...thank you for coming today. The Academy has recently become aware of some sinister corporate activities and we've called this press conference to let you know about it and bring public attention to this issue. My brother, Number Five, has taken the lead on this, so I'm going to allow him to talk you through it. I will just ask that we save questions until the end."

Cameras click as Five takes Luther's microphone.

"Thank you, Luther. Number One."

He surveys the crowd with quiet confidence. He has notes but holds them in the hands clasped behind his back, addressing the assembled press from memory.