I

My grandparent's live in the "middle of nowhere" by city slicker terms, I can say that because I'm a city slicker myself, the live close to the border of two counties in a new rural area about twenty minutes from town. They have probably two acres of land where a nice brick house, above ground pool, and an old farm building stands. They've lived here my whole life and many years before I was even a thought. The set up is as such: the drive way up to the house, the house itself with three bedrooms, three bathrooms, basement and attic, a long pavement walkway to the oval pool, and the red barn a few yards from there. I had spent many days, nights, and weekends at my grandparents' house throughout my younger years, always playing in the yard and climbing the trees. 

On this one particular summer day, I happened to be playing in the front yard of my grandparents' house with a handful of friends when I noticed a young boy standing by the barn looking towards my direction. Now, I'm typically the oldest in most friend groups and among cousins so I did not think much of it as I also have a younger brothers and I was also around twelve or thirteen at the time. I'm not sure what told me that he wasn't "one of us" but I decided to venture out to the barn, I'm not sure why because I had always been the scaredy cat. I still kept my distance from the barn as I looked at this boy. He looked to be between five or eight years old, he had white blonde hair, bare feet, dark blue overalls, and a light blue almost white plain tee shirt. However, he had no eyes. 

As quickly as I noticed him he disappeared once again. No one had believe what I saw, which I didn't expect them to I wouldn't had believed me either. I was not scared of the little farm boy but the lack of eyes had me up at night, especially when I stayed with my grandparents. My bedroom in the house was towards the back, closer to the barn, it also had a large window and nearly sheer curtains that peered into the front yard that had a large tree at the time. The country itself also spooked me because I was used to the city and hearing the cars and the occasional train down on the waterfront but here there was nothing. Only darkness, and the moon peaking through the curtains every night, and the eyeless farm boy. 

I didn't see much of the farm boy after that. I saw him maybe two times since the initial. He was always in the same outfit, same stance, same spot, but never grew eyes. Perhaps he's still out there by the barn awaiting for someone to talk to him.