III

My childhood home still stands today, and it still stands across from two cemeteries, both in which are now final resting places of Civil War veterans, mostly Union. All throughout my life there had been many instances of spirits in my home, it was build in the 1950s but what happened on the land prior to my house is unknown. There were small occurrences such as the temperature changing or the occasional man making himself apparent to me as a young girl but it didn't occur to me until I was in middle school that there may have been a true presence in my house. 

I was in my bedroom that was the closest to the kitchen and dining room while my dad was watching tv in the living room and my younger brother was asleep in his room. I was laying in bed when all of a sudden it sounded as though my kitchen cabinet had opened and a large stack of red solo cups had fallen off the shelf. I yelled to my dad and asked if he was in the kitchen and he asked me the same. There were a handful of cups laying on the counter below and the floor with the cabinet door itself opened. I picked them up and placed them back as they were. My brother was still asleep in his room. The cabinet door was by all means not light but it did require some effort to open. I have never stopped thinking about that night. Being in middle school I was very young and probably just wanted to go to sleep be the ghosts in the house made me clean their mess.