𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟎

X. HOW, ERWIN?

Mikasa watched the mass looming in the horizon, approaching her location. At her side stood Levi, also ready to welcome, although not warmly, the new recruits who seemed to be rather numerous.

Following the recapture of Shiganshina, the name of the Survey Corps had become synonymous with progress, hope and courage again. In the audience, no one dared to call them stupid anymore and the soldiers in training idolized them, and sometimes, swore to join their ranks, like Eren had done before.

It was by looking at them that the woman realized that among those people, some of them would form her squad. Her own squad, which she would have chosen herself.

A nameless pride came to swell the ravenette's chest, finally realizing the magnitude of her new status.

She had inherited the seat formerly belonging to Hanji, who now had new responsibilities, which she had no desire to be in charge of.

At this thought, the half asian's gaze landed on the short man to her side. If Hanji had to give her role as Commander to someone, would it be Levi? He certainly had aptitudes exceeding all those of his comrades as well as the experience of a veteran, yet he was not of the finest strategists offered by the Scouting Regiment. He wasn't the most stupid and had an uncommon coolness, but she couldn't help but wonder if really, he would have been able to make decisions like those Erwin had once made.

It was then that her vision shifted to her blonde friend's blue eyes, twinkling at the horde eagerly approaching them.

The genius that he was, would he be able to take this role, instead of the Corporal? Would he have been ready to rush to his certain death, taking with him hundreds of lives?

And her? What about her, the woman worth more than a hundred soldiers? Would she have made that choice?

Unlike her questions intended for others, the squad leader could answer for herself. Sacrificing lives wasn't one of her favorite pastimes, however, she was certainly more inclined to do so than her best friend. Because yes, she would have been able to do it, she was sure of it, but with different conditions.

Mikasa would have carried all those souls to their death if Eren was in danger. Because the woman in the red fabric was ready to do anything to protect him. She would have done the same for Armin, or even Levi. She would have sacrificed her life, all the people having followed her, only for them, for him.

She would have perished happily, to know them on the other side of the wall, with a better chance of safety. She would have succumbed with tranquility, knowing that he was out of range of the stones, making his own way to slay their sworn enemies.

But wouldn't she have preferred to go and see, to assure their safety herself, so that she could protect them in case of danger?

Yes. Yes, she had no doubt that before letting herself die for them, she would live for them.

Obviously, no one really was like Erwin Smith, and she couldn't tell if that was a good or bad thing. After all, knowing how to sacrifice a minority for the majority was something practical, or even considered correct. Yet sacrificing at all was morally wrong according to many, and simply difficult to perform.

If another person in charge didn't have the same temperament as him, maybe they would have known how to save them all.

« Whatever, it's in the past now and Hanji isn't going to be replaced, » the soldier said to herself while slightly shaking her head.

That action, which was intended to be more discreet than it really was, in turn attracted the oldest Ackerman's attention.

« Are you okay? » His head to the side as a sign of questioning, the man tried to meet the woman's dark gaze.