thirteen | battle ready

♥

THE TEAM WERE GETTING battle ready while hidden in a meadow from Jason's hunting party. Behind Ruby, the majority were focused on building their weapons and defences while Ruby had formed the plan.

After all, it was what she did best (though, the majority of the time they failed, this one would work). For Ruby, the plan kept her mind focused, giving her something to do with everything going on.

Though, between Robin and Steve, they were making explosives with Robin pouring the petrol into the empty bottles.

"It just doesn't make sense," Steve said.

"What doesn't make sense?" Robin questioned.

"That was Dan Shelter," Steve answered. "He graduated, like, two years ago."

"So?" Robin replied.

"So he's in college," said Steve. "Which means he was visiting on spring break. Fast Times was returned, like, I don't know, a week ago? Right? Unless she's got some horndog brother we don't know about, which is possible. Or she's just really into Judge Reinhold."

Robin had rolled her eyes, suppressing a sigh.

"Steve," Robin caught his attention.

"What?"

"I don't care," Robin insisted. "And I don't understand why you do either with everything that's going on. Honestly, this feels like the perfect time for that little pull of the rug because, in the face of the world ending, the stakes of my love life feel spectacularly low."

"Yeah," Steve agreed, eyes falling low. "I get you there, but I still have hope."

Steve handed the bottle to Robin once it was complete with the cloth in place.

"Not everything has a happy ending," Robin told him.

"Yeah, yeah, believe me, I know," Steve insisted.

With the words, Steve's eyes had fallen on Ruby, where they lingered. Catching him, Robin let out a small chuckle.

"I'm not talking about failed romance," Robin said, starting the next makeshift explosion. "I just...I have this terrible gnawing feeling that it might not work out for us this time."

Steve met Robin's gaze. "You think we shouldn't be doing this?"

"I think we're mad fools, the lot of us, but..." Robin continued to pour the petrol, trying to concentrate, and then her eyes scanned around the group of them. "But, if we don't stop it, who will? We have to try, right?"

"Yeah," Steve agreed, prompting a small, petrified smile from Robin before he held up the bottle of petrol. "To killing Vecna."

Robin held up a bottle too. "Slash Henry."