FOUR

Once I reach school, I notice the football players pointing at the car seats in Charlie's car. I don't hear the conversation but I do see Charlie attempt to charge toward them.

"Charlie! Stop!" Lorraine cried. "You'll get in trouble."

"Just let me deal with these idiots, okay?" I asked. Charlie and Lorraine went inside not saying a word. "It's come to this, huh?

"Come to what?" the bullies asked.

"You know what I mean. Trust me. Do this again and you'll regret it," I tell them heading towards the school myself.

If they want to play this game then so will I.

~~~~~

"Hello?"

"Daphne! Thank goodness!" dad says from the other line.

"Dad? What's up?"

"Can you pick up everyone? I'm getting hung up at work."

"Of course I can," I agree.

"Great! I'll be home as soon as possible," he said as I hung up.

~~~~~

Once I pulled up, everyone looked at my car in shock.

"Daphne? Where's dad?" Jessica asked.

"Dad's busy at work so he asked me to pick everyone up," I tell them.

They all pile into my car not saying anything.

"Look what I drew today," Mark says handing a colorful picture

I looked at the picture carefully. At the top read My Favorite Place In The World. I tried to stop myself from crying. He had drawn the Midland house.

"I miss it too guys," I admit as I take a deep breath as I drive.

~~~~~

"Kids! Down here! Now!" dad yells. Everyone comes downstairs to see dad with the Football players. What was going on?

"Dad. College guys?" Lorraine says in amazement as she runs to take her face mask off.

"Where's Charlie?" dad asks.

"He went to Midland," I admitted.

"Midland? It's a school day," he said.

"He hates school," Henry said.

"Which you would know if you were home more often," Sarah says voicing what we all were thinking.
"Well lucky for you, things are going to change Sarah Baker. I can't go to work without you guys acting up and I can't stay here without Shake calling me like crazy so I brought my work with me. Guys. These are my kids. Kids. Meet the team," he says.

"What's up boys?" Jake asks. I try not to roll my eyes.

"Sup," the boys' answer.

"We need to practice. Daphne. You and Lorraine help everyone with their homework," dad instructs.

I nod and go to inform Lorraine.

~~~~~

I had chosen to go to dad's game to cheer him on even though I don't want to. The only people not going were Charlie, Henry, Sarah, and Jake. Dad had us hold up a banner but it said We Love The C when it was supposed to say We Love The Coach.

~~~~~

Dad and the football players were busy eating our food so dad ended up picking up carry-out for us on the way home. He was on the phone with mom and for once when he said everything was fine, it was.