Lena's Troubles

LENA POV

"Ok the chicken is almost done, and I just need to make the rice and vegetables. Then clean and iron a few shirts." I say trying to calm myself but looking at the clock I knew I had a few more hours until Ramon got home from work and I was hoping to God he would be late. I just wanted to soak a little in to tub for maybe ten minutes after I got everything done and made sure my girls ate. I was also hoping since it was Friday maybe me and my girls could watch a movie or even play a board game.

Most of the time I felt as if I was just on auto pilot trying to get from one day to the next and at the same time trying to dodge my husbands anger and blows. But I never knew what was going to set him off and as each year passed it seemed it had just gotten worse.

I didn't like to think about it, I didn't and I took the blame each time because I knew it was me. It was my doing because I just wasn't a very good housewife. Infact, being a housewife was not what I wanted to do but I had lost my last job as a teacher, because well...

"Mama, we made bird cut outs in school today." I soon hear Callie say interrupting my thoughts as Frankie walks into the kitchen smiling at me as she takes out the silverware and starts to set  the table. Gently I place my hand on top of hers as she looks at me.

"Just three settings tonight honey." She nods her head as I almost see instant relief something I felt horrible about as I look over at Callie and smile. These two girls were my life and I loved them more then myself and it had been my dream to be a mother one day. Initially it had been very hard for me to have a child and Ramon and I tried for years until finally I become pregnant with Frankie 14 years ago. But, it had been a complicated pregnancy and the doctor advised me never to have another child again. Of course that made me sad, extremely, and Ramon was very understanding about it so we adopted Callie six years ago hoping to make our family complete. But, it was never enough for Ramon, ever, and I thought once we had both our girls the abuse would stop. But I was foolish to think that. Very.

"Did you sweetheart? That's very nice. Did you bring it home baby?" 

"YES! It's in my bag. Can we hang it on the fridge?" 

"Of course we can. You just hang it with the rest of your lovely pictures." I say as she smiles from ear to ear and runs to grab the picture out of her backpack as I place the three plates on the table and see Frankie leaning against the counter.  She is dressed in her usual black jeans with Nike high tops and a black teeshirt. "You ok honey? School was ok?"

"Yeah. It was fine Mama." She whispers as she puts her long curly hair which was an exact replica of mine in a ponytail. "Do you need me to help with anything? I wasn't sure how your arm was feeling."

"My arm?" I look briefly at her as I stir the rice trying to behave as if I didn't know what she talking about. But, I knew she had heard her father the other night, she always did and I was well aware of the black eye I had, the bruise on my cheek and my busted lip. Makeup did nothing to hide it and the denial was pretty strong in me, sadly.

"Yeah, I mean, I wasn't sure if it was hurting." 

"No, I'm ok baby. I'm fine." I gently grab her hand squeezing it as her eyes look so tired and worried as I wrap her into a hug and she hugs me back warmly. "I'm ok sweetheart, and tonight it's just us girls for bit. Maybe we can make some popcorn and watch a movie." I pull away from her as she nods her head smiling and I can't help but stroke her hairline wanting things to be so different for her and for us but I just didn't know how to escape this awful marriage. I didn't and didn't know if I had the strength to. And being a mother that is something I should have for I was supposed to protect these two girls of mine and it was the last thing I was doing.

"Alright lets eat dinner and watch a movie my sweethearts."

"Ok Mama." She smiles as my stomach turns like always as Callie runs back in plastering her pretty picture on the refrigerator. I can only smile at her for she was such a ray of joy and she didn't deserve this hell I had her living in either. She just didn't.

--------------------

STEF POV

"I think they changed their recipe. Doesn't taste the same. Does it to you?" Mike asks me for the 100th time as we were grabbing some dinner at Rascals Cheesesteaks and I sip my cola. We had been coming here since we first started the academy, and through our marriage and even after for Mike was such a creature of habit that it was ridiculous.

"Mike, you say this shit every time we come here. Why do you keep coming here if you hate it? OR better yet instead of asking me go back there and ask the chef if they have changed things around."

"I never said I hated it, I just said it taste different. I should have started that food truck." He bites into his sandwich as I roll my eyes. "Do you know how much we could have made, Stef?"

"Hard to forget. You tell me all the time."

"Hey, it was a good idea and you know it."

"Yes much like us being married was a good idea, right?" I bite into my sandwich as he shakes his head laughing.

"It was at the time and before. I mean our marriage wasn't that bad. You were just, you were just gay. I mean you are gay.  But if you had not been it was good, right? I wasn't a horrible husband or was I?"

He is rather serious and somewhat doubtful as I wipe my mouth and smile softly at him. His dark eyes are rather intense for Mike was never a bad looking guy. He was actually a very handsome Italian man with her dark hair and rather strong features. His body had always been muscular since he was known to work out but since or injury on the job last year he had scaled back a little. But, he was a very kinda man, rather sensitive but didn't take any crap. Especially from me.

"No, Mike you weren't a horrible husband. And the food truck might have outlasted our marriage." I joke as he sips his cola.

"Hey just for the record I meant what I said at the school earlier. I've had alot of partners Stef, but you are the only one I've ever really trusted and I know it's shitty but I'm glad you were there that night. Not that I'm glad you got hurt, because I didn't mean that. I just mean I don't know if....

"I know. I know what you meant. And I'm just glad you were ok too."

"Me? I was fine. I was glad you were ok. You scared the fuck out of me."

"I know those domestic violence calls are no joke. I freak out every time but, we can't."

"Well I mean they can be a challenge after what happened.  But, we are ok. Just don't you dare ever scare me like that again. I'm not interested in loosing you."

"Sure, you just want someone to run this damm food truck with!" I laugh trying to break the seriousness as he smiles warmly at me. "But I'm glad we are both here and partners and annoying the shit out of each other still. And I will always love you Mike." 

"Right back at ya." He smiles as I wink at him. "But to be honest I hope this is an easy night I'm kinda fried."

"Same. But...

"Possible domestic disturbance at 101 San Tuscan Drive."  We hear dispatch on the walkie say as I wipe my mouth and Mike grabs the radio quickly answering.

"Copy. Car 23. Heading over now!"

"So much for an easy night huh?" I say standing as we toss the rest of our food and head back to the cruiser.

"You know it's never that easy!"