Lisa The Brave

The kingdom of Speargaurd had great reason to cheer at break of dawn this evening. A great hero had returned.

Lisa the Brave.

Not only had she brought great glory to the kingdom of Speargaurd, she had also brought the head of the beast that threatened the realm.

She walked into the gates of the kingdom. She had cold blue eyes that almost always seemed to calculating with her blond hair tied up and stained with blood, she wore Speargaurdian armour, which is a white armour from neck to toe with a red cross across the chest plate.

The beast she held in her hand as she paraded into the streets of Speargaurd was a dragon. It had dull black eyes and almost beautiful but incredibly intimidating blue scales. Some may compare the fierce beast to the fierce Lisa herself. And in a twisted way they were alike.

Despite the kingdom of Speargaurd being a matriarchy, women never had any chance in trying to pursue something that involved labour.

It was a man's job. Everyone had their own place.

Women held political and diplomatic power but they had barely any idea about how their forces worked.

A king's need would've been felt if the kingdom wasn't at political peace with almost every single one of its neighbouring kingdoms.

Despite that Lisa wanted to be a Knight, not just any knight. The greatest one.

And she became one. With not much resistance. But she was praised for 'rising against the odds' she did not like that.

But she regretted her decision to become a knight. She underestimated how much of an emotional toll being a knight takes. Her job as a knight was to understand the enemy and she did that... A bit too well.

So much empathy for someone who is supposedly the enemy is sometimes necessary to predict precisely what they were going to do. And the biggest problem with that, is if you understand someone so much you tend to love them and then as a knight you have to kill them.

Knights weren't allowed to love. Lisa hated that. She wanted to love someone so desperately.

She wanted to remind herself that she was still capable of love.

She wanted to be able understand someone and be able to be by them and hug them and know she was going to be there for them.

It was a contradiction in her character but a sensible one. She had read one too many books about dashing romance and loving adventures because of which she longed for a partner hoping that would fill the void killing people had left in her.

She entered the throne room. Nobles by the balcony and common folks by the sides cheered for our hero. Everyone in her troop had the brightest smiles and the most heartfelt tears in their eyes overwhelmed with joy about returning home safely except one... Herself.

She had the same cold expression she always had. She couldn't remember the last time she smiled, hell, she couldn't remember the last time she felt anything really. This all just another day for her.

I want to quit.

She thought to herself. Wondering if any of these deaths were necessary.

The royal throne was decorated with gold. And Queen Emilia sat on it. She was someone with a huge presence. She had blond hair and bright blue eyes and a rather overweight body, she was the queen after all. Nobody seemed to have ever found her not eating. Even now she was chewing on a rather big chicken drumstick.

"Ah! You've returned! Lisa the Brave you have officially surpassed all expectation I could have from ya. You have effectively rid the world of a rather awful predicament and brought great pride to the name of Speargaurd, no reward can ever repay you for yer service so if you have anything on yer wee little mind, ask away."

Calling her mind small wasn't an insult it was very clear that smaller things were smarter and here it wasn't much of a stretch to imagine smaller brains were smarter as well. Although both were wrong assumptions.

Lisa the Brave dropped the dragons head and then dropped her sword.

"I want to quit."

The room collectively gasped and then went silent. The queen still chewing her food waited to take a gulp and said.

"You know I can't let you do that. Is there anything else you would like instead?" Lisa knew something like this would happen but she had already planned. Someone as important as her would not be allowed to quit until she was dead.

"Then I want to find a husband... A romantic one..."

Lisa said.

The silence in the room dissolved into interested mutterings.

"Ah... Is that so?"

The queen asked as she chewed on her seventh drumstick.

"I think that could be arranged... What kind of men are you interested in?" The audience started to shuffle around to see what Lisa had to say.

If being married to the brave hero that saved humanity wasn't enough the Hero in front of the queen was drop dead gorgeous. Maybe a bit thick and muscular but rather beautiful.

"I want to be interviewing each of the men of each the settlements that match these three conditions.

1) they are either younger or about the same age as me 27 years old."

A lot of the men in the audience sighed. Other men cheered silently.

"2) They have to limit what they have to say about themselves into 3 sentences.

And

3) If I were to choose them then we'll get married on the same day and would be allowed to go on an adventure together."

The last the condition was a bit of her childish wishful thinking rearing its head. But that doesn't mean she didn't mean it.

"Are you sure that is all?"

"Yes. I think."

The queen smiled and then said

"So it shall be granted!"

Lisa's wish was rather eccentric she wasn't the kind of girl who would wish for something so grand. But deep down she wanted to make sure she had the best of the best man she could possibly have.

And an arrangement like this would surely make sure of that. Her only fear... Settling for someone who wasn't worthy.