Chapter Two: Maybe just friends?

Glen's POV: 16/07/2001 12:11 am

"Come on Glen! This is the thing you've been looking for!" Rina exclaims excitedly, gripping onto my arm tightly as she jumps up and down.
"I know but I'll probably never get it." I sigh heavily, getting jobs these days only get harder.
"Glen Joseph Powers should never give up! Your the best drummer in Ireland! People need to hear you!" She boomed shaking my arm violently, "Promise me you'll just give it a try! I'll do everything! I'll organise it all promise!"
She gives me the puppy dog eyes, her blue eyes shinning with a burning fire. I sigh again, I know Vanessa wouldn't approve of this at all.
"Okay I'll give it a go" I say trying to smile but I didn't have the heart to.
"Oh come on! Have a little faith Powers, I know you'll get it!" She beamed, "with me as your manager you'll nail it!"

She gives me a thumbs up with a huge smile and starts to walk away, me not far behind. I met Rina at a job interview I had for drumming, she was intriguing and beautiful.
Blonde curly hair with beautiful ocean blue eyes, beautiful white skin with little freckles across her face.
"Glad you have so much faith in me..." I mumble, not thinking she would hear me.
"What are friends for?" She shrugs as we walk down the busy street.

*********************
The next day

I sit in a small cafe waiting, Rina had organised this whole thing and much to my surprise they said they would like to hear me out. I begin to drum with my fingers sipping the warm coffee in my hands. Snow falling outside, the warmth of coffee filling me up.
"Glen, it's okay don't stress.." Rina assures me smiling at me holding my hand for support.
"I know I'm not stressing, just nervous. If I don't get this, I'll let down Luke and Vanessa" I say looking at my fingers. It hasn't been easy in the last two years, me and Vanessa got a divorce due to the low income. If I hadn't met Rina when I did I don't know how I could've coped. I didn't have many friends to fall back on, nor did I have a stable job. Even now I'm still unemployed and my child support is lower every week.

"Hey are you Glen? Glen Power?" A man asks me. He was taller them me, in fact pretty much everyone was taller then me. He had a bold head with a ginger beard, with small brown eyes. He had freckles across his face to a lot like Rina, his nose was pretty small. This guy looks somewhat familiar......

"Yes that's him, I'm guessing your Mark?" Rina says with a smile nudging me in the ribs. I stand up and shake his hand nervously.
"Yep that's me." He grins broadly, "is this your wife?"
He asks looking at me then Rina, looking down at our hands intertwined. I swiftly let go and placed my hands on my lap, rubbing my legs nervously.
"Oh..no she's not my wife." I manage to say calmly, everyone thinks we're a couple.
"No we're just friends, I wanted to support Glen." She says smiling at Mark, her cheeks a shade of red, "I'm his manager" she adds.
"That's nice of you." He says winking at her making her hide her red face. Is she smitten? Are these two flirting?
"Anyway back to business..." He says rubbing his hands together, pulling out some papers from a folder.
"Obviously you read the flyer?" He questions, reading his notes.
"Actually Rina did, she showed me just the yesterday." I state, he looks up from his papers staring at Rina.
"Really? Your name is Rina?" He asks her, she turns even brighter. She looks like she's glowing, literally glowing.
"Yes that's me." She mumbles looking down at her hands smiling brightly.

"That's a beautiful name......." He says continuing to look at her, I clear my throat loudly enough to make him jump slightly.
"Oh...Glen so okay. Well from what I've read you've been drumming since you've been eight years old, and you play piano and keyboard?"
"Yep"
"And you consider yourself as the best drummer in Ireland?" He asks raising and eyebrow at me. I've never said that before...I mean that's overrated!
"Wait...Rina....." I say looking at her, she's the one who put in my résumé.
"Well I think your the best drummer in Ireland.." She mumbles in her scarf, she looks like some hot potato or something.
"Okay well I showed this to Daniel and he was impressed, I for one was very impressed. So if you want can you show us what you've got? Maybe tomorrow afternoon at 5?" He asks me scribbling stuff down.
"What tomorrow? Already?" I exclaim shocked.
"Of course he'll be there! Won't you? Glen?" She hissed my name as she nudged me in the ribs again. I winced in pain trying to smile.
"Yeah of course I'll be there...but can Rina come to?" I ask Mark, "I can't do it without her..."
"Sure of course she can, I'll see you tomorrow at five." He says shaking hands with me again, he grabs Rina's hand and kisses it. She looked like she was about to faint, I looked at them both with a child's face of disgust quickly hiding it when she glared at me.
"Well...see what I told you! Have a little faith!" She exclaims cheerfully.
"Yes Rina you should have faith in Mark." I laugh, as she hits me with her purse.