CHAPTER FOUR: ALMOST IS NEVER ENOUGH

A/N: apologies for the delay, I really love this story and want to make sure I'm super happy with each chapter before I post them

Warnings: smut, oral (male receiving), masturbation, Sergeant kink, lots of praise, excessive drinking (idk how much wine they consume but it's a lot), also Bucky kinda leads Sophia on a bit this chapter because he's a selfish so and so who's also trying to do the right thing.

Please don't forget to vote and comment!

__________

PENEDÈS WINE REGION, CATALONIA

Sunlight streams through the window, the small bedroom illuminated by beams of soft gold dusting the uneven walls. That's the first thing that stirs James awake. The second, is the weight on his chest and the way he's holding it there, fingers subconsciously digging into soft, malleable flesh.

The weight sighs and a gentle huff of air skims across his skin, warm and tickling over the smattering of hair on his sternum. He hasn't opened his eyes yet. Choosing instead to stay in the moment, and relish the warmth of the sun and the woman wrapped around him because he knows this is wrong. Too familiar, too intimate. And the second either of them acts aware of the way they're tangled together, it's bound to be ruined.

Instead, James plays back the events of the night before. Sophia, looking so soft at his door in her pyjamas, and the kiss that sent him dizzy. Tender and experimental, testing the waters because the only kiss they'd shared before was angry; full of heat and a desperate need to extinguish it.

He remembers, after what felt like a lifetime lost in a gentle conversation of sighs and swallowed moans, they moved to the bed. Sophia's messy bun had quickly succumbed to James' fingers, tangling in her hair as he covered her body with his. The heat turned up, his shirt was tugged from him and with their mouths no longer limited to one another, he had made sure to kiss and suck every visible piece of her skin he could. Sophia's legs had wrapped around his waist, drawing him closer, and that was the action that had torn James from his eager travels across her body. As though he'd just been drenched in ice water, his system was shocked awake and he hastily pulled his mouth from Sophia's jaw before rolling to the mattress beside her.

James opens his eyes to peer down at her now, gorgeous in the ethereal glow of the sun painted across her face. A small smile graces his lips, incredulous at the situation as he brushes his nose against her forehead and drops the softest of kisses to her skin. He's fucked. And he doesn't want to, he really doesn't fucking want to, but he's going to have to set boundaries if he's planning on leaving Europe with his heart unscathed. It's why he stopped their kiss going any further last night, his brain re-engaging just in time to knock some sense into him.

Sophia hadn't questioned it. Instead, she settled in beside him, peppering small kisses across his chest with a kind of intimacy he had missed in the months since Sharon. So, he welcomed the delicious feeling of her body pressed against his because he's selfish. And because he's selfish, he's giving himself twelve hours. Twelve hours before he cuts himself off from her touch for as long as it takes to get over whatever... this is.