Chapter 2

Rowan steps out of his daughters bedroom. He needs to take a deep breath and sort out his thoughts. She looked so sad and tired tonight. He saw that look before and didn't like it one bit. It was shortly before the war and it was his wife's face . It nearly broke his heart. And tonight he saw his own daughter with the same face. And the worst is that he doesn't even know why she looks so broken. She tries to hide it most of the time. But sometimes there are moments where he feels the weight of the whole world crushing down on her. He and Aelin are so desperate to find a way to help her be happier. As Rowan turns around a pair of blue eyes cross his. Aelin smiles at him. „Are you okay, buzzard?" she asks. God he loved those eyes, this woman. Everytime he looks at her he is in disbelieve. How was he so lucky. „ I was looking after our daughter, fireheart." he says. „ She looked so tired today. It just breaks my heart." He takes a look at Aelin. Her face turns to the floor. After a long pause she looks at him with a sadness in her eyes that make Rowan tremble. „There's something going on with her. I just don't know what. I try to search for it with my magic but it just doesn't work. It feels like something is holding her in her head and she can't let go. I don't know what to do. I mean she was always quiet and shy but during the last two years she became a whole new person." she says nearly crying. She was right. Something was going on. He felt it too through his magic. He just didn't want to admit it to himself. „ I think we looked away for long enough. We wanted to believe that it was something else, that she was okay all along. But seeing her face break More and More I just can't take it. Tomorrow I will start searching in the library maybe we will find something there. I can feel her drifting away from us and I don't feel like she realizes it. We will find a way, my fireheart. We always have we always will. And now come here." he says. Aelin leans her head against Rowan and whispers „I love you. We will find a way to help our little girl." she says with a smile. „ Without a question" he replies smiling right back at her. That was all he needed. To see his mates face light up. He would find a way. He must find a way. For his daughter that he loved so much it hurts. Rowan just got his family, his entire world, and he will not loose it.