Chapter 11

"I–I couldn't. I can't believe that I... I can't," I said to myself hysterically as I paced the bathroom hallway, gripping onto my hair. What was I going to do with a dead body? I can't just leave her here!

"Michelle?" I heard a familiar voice say, making my head snap up in fear.

The substitute.

"Yes, Mr. McHenry?" I asked nervously, feeling light-headed.

"Is it okay if I come ins-"

"No!" I blurted out, my eyes widening in fright. "I mean, uh... Why?"

"Because you've been gone for almost twenty minutes, Miss Antoinette," the man replied, making me sigh in frustration.

"Um..." I said quietly as I started walking towards the bathroom door that I locked. I quickly unlocked it, cracked open the door a little bit, and slid out of the room– smiling at him nervously as I slowly closed the door behind me.

"Is there a problem in there?" he asked me with a raised eyebrow, making me stare at him with calculating eyes.

Could I trust him?

"No," I said slowly as I watched him walked closer towards me.

"So you wouldn't mind me checking in on what's going on in the bathroom, right?" he said with a raised eyebrow as he nodded his head at the bathroom door.

"Um..." I murmured, making him roll his eyes and look at me with an emotionless expression.

"Move," he commanded lazily as he started walking towards me. My brain was telling my legs to stay where they were, but apparently my body wasn't functioning correctly and decided they'd moved so that he could go in and see my first corpse.

"I really don't think you sho-"

"Shut up and come with me," the man commanded in the same lazy type of voice, but even though he didn't sound threatening my brain sent a distress signal. Without even a second going by I shut my mouth and followed him, feeling like there was invisible thread sewing my lips together. I mean, I literally couldn't disobey him, even if I tried.

And trust me. I tried.

It was like I was on some imaginary leash.

'Don't make him angry,' a demon whimpered, making my heart instantly beat ten times as fast. Why did it sound scared? Why is it whimpering like it's hurt?

'Why am I hyperventilating? Who is he?' I asked in a demanding tone, my heart ready to pop out of my body while I surprisingly remained calm on the outside.

'He's your ma–'

"Fuck!" I hissed as I pain shot through my head. I gripped the top of my head with both of my hands tightly, muttering multiple colorful words, that would surely send me to Hell.

But, hey, I'm going there anyway, so I mean I guess I don't need to worry about that anymore.

Just my luck.

'Who is he?' I growled at them when I realized none of the demons have spoken since my headache started. Normally they would be laughing harshly and making my head hurt more, but now it was almost like they were... muted.

'Hello?' I tried after a few seconds, just as the substitute got into where the stalls in the bathroom were.

He hummed in amusement as he stared at the dead corpse. "What do we have here?"

"She, um... Fainted," I said awkwardly as I scratched the back of my head uncomfortably. "She saw a spider and fainted so I tried to wake her up, but she wouldn't– and I didn't want others seeing her because I thought she would be embarrassed, so I locked the doors."