Prologue

Far away, as far north as any man, woman, or child had ever been, once stood the Enchanted Forest. This beautiful forest was protected by the spirits of air, fire, water, and earth. Among all this beauty dwelled a mysterious people called the Northuldra. They were nomads who lived off the land and followed their reindeer herds wherever they roamed. Because the Northuldra were in harmony with nature, it was thought that they were magical.

One day, ships arrived at the entrance to the fjord south of the Enchanted Forest—wooden ships full of people who were determined to create a home for themselves near the water. Soon the kingdom of Arendelle's came to be, and a magnificent castle was built for the royal family.

The newcomers were welcomed by the Northuldra's ruler when he met with their king on a cliff as the sun set. The leaders firmly shook hands, and the meeting was seen by others only in hazy silhouettes as they cast great shadows across the land.

To demonstrate their ability goodwill and friendship, the Arendellians built a mighty dam in the Enchanted Forest. They placed it on the river that flowed into the Arenfjord, the deep blue body of water upon which Arendelle Castle had been built. The dam connected all the lands and made it easier for the Northuldra and their reindeer to roam. King Mark, the leader of Arendelle, offered it to the Northuldra as a symbol of peace and cooperation between the two groups.

When the dam was complete, the Arendellians threw a great celebration. Northuldra from all over the land gathered at the base of the dam to mingle and feast with the Arendellians. For Prince Ross, the young son of King Mark, it was the farthest from home he had ever been. His eyes danced with wonder and excitement...until his father noticed.

King Mark flicked Ross under the chin and gave him a look that the prince knew better than to challenge. He directed his son to stand straight and proud—to be regal.

"Remember Ross—you represent Arendelle." Ross obeyed, as the king knew he would. "And mind Lieutenant Mendes," his father advised, motioning to a young man in uniform.

Shawn stood at attention as the king walked away with his guards. The lieutenant knew the disappointment in Ross's eyes. It wasn't just that King Mark had wanted him to act royally, like a diplomat instead of a boy. It was also that he had left Ross behind—away from the talk and the elders and the Northuldra leader.

But Shawn knew exactly what to do. He stepped up beside Ross and mused. "You're getting taller. Stop that." He nudged the young prince with his elbow. Ross smiled and gave him a jab back. "Eh, I'm just kidding. Come on. Let's go." The two interlocked arms, jockeying for positions in a friendly wrestling match on their way down to the festivities.

At the heart of the celebration, the Northuldra and the Arendellians intermingled, eating and drinking, talking and laughing as if they were the very best of friends. The Northuldra even put on a show, demonstrating tricks on the backs of their reindeer.

But something deeper in the forest caught Ross's eye. It was so amazing. It couldn't possibly have been real. He thought he saw the silhouette of a girl about his age, spinning up and down in the air as she twirled with the leaves in the wind. She wasn't dangling from trees or clinging to vines, but somehow she floated as if she weighed nothing.

Mesmerized, Ross moved toward her. It was only after he heard the clashing of swords, shields, and staffs that the trance he seemed in was broken. He turned and saw that the people were being attacked! The charm and magic of the Northuldra had only been a trick. Ross gave the girl one last look, not wanting to believe that the fighting was real. But she was gone—as if she had never been there at all.

The whoosh of an arrow passing Ross's head froze him in his spot. He had never been that close to danger before.

"Get behind me," Shawn said, and pulled Ross out of the way just before another arrow zipped by, right where his head had been.

Ross was dazed and could only watch as the brutal battle raged before them, arrows flying and shields defending. He froze when he saw his father, sword in hand, facing the Northuldra leader. Shawn held tight to Ross as the prince yelled for his father. All he wanted to do was help him.

The prince was able to free himself—but only after the king and the Northuldra leader had plunged over the edge of the cliff.

"Father!" Ross roared like a solider of old and rushed through the battle to get to the cliff's edge and search for his father. But fire erupted before him, and the flames and heat pushed him back.

A massive blast shot across the forest like a shock wave. The Northuldra and Arendellian soldiers ran for their lives as water crashed into the dam with a sound like thunder. The wind began to rage violently while boulders fell from the sky like bombs. One landed at Ross's feet, and the force of the impact tossed him through the air. When he hit the ground, his head slammed against a rock. As he began to lose consciousness and his vision faded, he noted sadly that the lush beauty of the forest had been destroyed.

At the same time, he heard a humming voice, like someone overcome with the grief of centuries, wailing an eerie melody. Ross had never experienced anything like it before. The Northuldra had mentioned that the dam was inherited by the spirits of the people who had built it. Is that voice a spirit? Is it angry? Ross asked himself.

Somehow, the prince was moved out of the forest by an unseen force that floated him through the air while the chaos continued beneath him. Then the deafening roar fell silent as the angry spirits stopped raging, and a mist, as thick and impenetrable as stone, enveloped the forest, locking some people in and others out....