Chapter 3

I'm perfection when it comes to first impressions. Well, I romanticize and then I get to stressing. A big brain like I'm teaching it a lesson. Baby, it's a blessing, yeah.

I jolted awake with a slight gasp, blinking a few times as I rolled over onto my other side and turned my alarm off. I lay in the silence for a moment, rolling onto my back and clutching the blankets to my chest.

Did last night really happen?

I ran my hand through the front of my hair with a sigh, looking towards the window. I couldn't tell if last night was a dream or reality. It was so jumbled in my head. I pushed up and noticed something out of place on the windowsill. I got up and shuffled to the window, picking up the folded paper.

Have a good day at school.

-D

I bit my lip as I read it, nodding to myself when I realized that last night wasn't a dream. I folded the note back up and smiled to myself before moving to my closet and pushing open the small cubbyhole in the top, tucking the note in the box I kept stashed there. I kept other things there that I didn't want my parents to know about. You know, things like tickets to concerts I snuck out to or the small bag of weed and papers.

I climbed back down and started getting ready for school, not putting much effort in because I was still tired. I rushed down the stairs with my bag to grab a snack for breakfast. Both my parents were already gone to work, so I didn't worry about noise. My phone chimed while I looked through the fridge, finding some yogurt and closing the fridge. I picked up my phone expecting it to be Lissa but found an unknown number instead.

If anyone asks about last night, lie. They won't remember.

I thought that the message was odd and ignored it, noticing the time and bolting for the door in time for Lissa to pull into the driveway. I smiled at her and climbed into the front seat.

"Hey!"

"Hey! What happened to you last night?" Lissa said handing me a coffee cup. I paused and brushed my hair out of my face.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean you left early! You missed Camille puking everywhere!"

I furrowed my brows at her when I remembered the strange text I got this morning. "Oh. Um, my parents got suspicious. I told them that I had gone for a run," I lied badly, wincing internally to myself as I lied.

Lissa shrugged and put the car in reverse. Either she wasn't too interested in the truth, or she bought it. I shrugged to myself and sipped my coffee, scrolling through my Instagram, noticing that there were pictures posted from the party last night. It seemed like everyone had posted about the party leading up to the shitshow that happened. I stopped on one that Natalie posted and zoomed in on it, smirking.

In the background, I could Dimitri standing in front of Lissa and me. It looked like we were talking like everyone else. I was so wrapped up in the picture when the back door opened, that I jumped and fumbled with my phone, dropping it in my lap.

"Hi!" Mia exclaimed as she climbed into the car, her voice several decibels higher than I was prepared for.

"Morning. Why are you so loud?" I complained as she stuck a cup between the seats. I turned my head and took the coffee cup from her, realizing we were stopped at the coffee stop by our school.

"Um, because I slept way too much last night. Drink your coffee, you'll be less cranky," Mia said with a chuckle, handing another cup to Lissa. I took a sip and set it down in the cup holder, rubbing my hand over my face. I was so tired that I didn't think coffee was going to help.