05

Mrs. and Mr. Johnston sat in Steven's living room while Steven and Grace sat on the other side being awkward. Mr. Johnston had his leg crossed watching the pair as they sat close to each other. It reminded him of when the pair were children, Grace's dad leans back uncrossing his arms, "Do either of you remember what happened during the time Steven was blind? And the 'incident'?" 

Grace pales as Steven glances to the side holding Grace's hand, "I do... it came back when I was asleep... the memories..."

Grace's dad raised his hand uncrossing his legs and leaning forward. Steven and Grace watched him when he pulled a photo out of the two, "Your mother trusted you to us because when Grace..." He glances at his daughter who glances at the photo of herself smiling and hugging young Steven's arm. He was so small and frail, she remembers being glued to him because they had so much in common.

"I brought him home when he was bruised black and blue... his cane was broken..." Grace mumbles remembering. 

"You okay?!"  Grace ran to Steven who was on the ground weak and sore from being beaten up. Steven moves slowly patting around him.

"C... Cane..."

Her head wipes around seeing a broken red and white stick a bit away from him. It was broken in half, hearing him panic while Grace gently helps him up, "Let me help you home, my parents are nice people..."

"W...Who are you?"

Her small hand held his hand and arm, "Grace, I'm going to help you from now on!"

Grace looks up to her parents who had sad smiles, "Mom... what happened? Why did I forget my best friend?"

Her mom leans forward holding her hand out, "Dear... when you both were walking home crossing the road. A truck drove hitting the both of you... so... when you were sent to the hospital for extreme head trauma. The first thing you both said was."

"Who is this?" Her dad finishes making the pair stare at each other.

Grace damn near about screamed but with Steven's hand on her hand and shoulder. He calmed her by pulling her to him, "Shhh..." When she was against his chest his eyes showed differently. Shock and confusion. 

Grace buried her face against his chest as Steven glances at Grace's parents, "So... it took us this long to remember each other?" Steven turns his head as he has thousands of questions running through his mind. His arms were protectively wrapped around Grace's small figure hearing her parents sigh and looking at one another. 

"For Grace, it was when she finished high school and entered college here."

Mr. Johnston held his hand out, "Especially when Grace met you again as a male. Her beauty has gotten negative attention from men."

"So her disguise was your idea?" Steven's eyes sharpened having her dad shake his head.

"It was her own, she also used to mumble, 'I feel I lost someone very important to me, but who?'."

Grace leans back when her dad said this, "So... you're saying... Steven was that important someone?"

"Dear, you two were inseparable, and... I kind of spied on the date you two were on~"

This had the couple blush realizing... at that time they were watched by her mother. She stood up as her expression darkened, "And also, you two are going to go back to school." Glances at her daughter who pales, "No more male disguises young lady."

"Well... I decided not to do the disguises anymore..." Glances at Steven next to her. "Because of Stevie."

This had her mother blink then smirk, "Stevie now~?"