Chapter 15

Honestly I'm on a roll, zooming through chapters 😎

---

The impact with the hard ground knocked the wind out of (M/N). His backpack did little to soften the blow. He held on tight to his bow as the ground continued to shake with explosions, though he couldn't hear them. He couldn't hear anything at that moment. But he had a pretty good guess that the apples had set off enough mines, causing debris to activate the others.

(M/N) shielded his face with his arms as bits of matter showered down around him. A pungent smoke filled the air, which wasn't the best remedy for someone trying to regain the ability to breathe.

After about a minute, the ground stopped vibrating. (M/N) rolled onto his side and allowed himself a moment of satisfaction at the sight of the smouldering wreckage that was once a pyramid of all the supplies in the Games. The Careers would have fun trying to salvage anything from it.

I need to get out of here, (M/N) thought. They'll be making a beeline for this place.

(M/N) got to his feet, and soon realised that escape might not be so easy. He was dizzy. Not the slightly wobbly kind, but the kind that had trees flying around him and the Earth moving wildy beneath his feet. He tried to move a few steps, and quickly ended up on his hands and knees. He waited a few minutes for it to pass, but much to his dismay, it didn't.

He began to panic. He couldn't stay there. He needed to run. But he couldn't walk or hear.

(M/N) placed a hand to his left ear, the one that was turned towards the blast, and it came away bloody. His stomach dropped as he realised he might have gone deaf from the explosion. He relied on his ears just as much as he did his eyes as a hunter, maybe more at times. But he couldn't let that fear show. Without a doubt, he was live on every screen in Panem.

(M/N) began to crawl forward slowly. Since he couldn't walk, that was his only option. Most of the woods would offer insufficient cover. His only hope was to make it back to Wendy's spying post and conceal himself in the greenery. There was no way he could get caught on his hands and knees out in the open. Not only would he face death, it was sure to be a slow and painful one at Mirio's hand. The thought of Eri having to watch kept (M/N) inching his way towards the hideout.

Suddenly, another blast knocked (M/N) onto his face. A stray mine, set off by some collapsing crate. It happened twice more, hindering his movement each time.

To say he made it in the nick of time was an understatement. (M/N) had just dragged himself into the tangle of bushes at the tree line when Mirio came barreling out onto the plain, soon followed by his companions, and oh boy was he furious. (M/N) was glad that his hiding spot made it impossible for the cameras to get a close shot of him because he was terrified. He didn't want to imagine what the blonde would have done to him if he hadn't made it to safety.

The boy from District 3 threw stones into the ruins, and must have declared that all the mines had been activated, because the Careers began approaching the wreckage.

Mirio had finished the first phase of his tantrum, and began taking out his anger on the smoking remains, kicking open various containers. The other tributes were poking around at the mess, looking for anything to salvage. Unsurprisingly, they came up with nothing. The boy from District 3 had done his job too well.

That idea must have occurred to Mirio as well, because he turned on the boy and appeared to be shouting at him. The boy barely had enough time to turn and begin running before Mirio caught him in a headlock from behind. (M/N) could see his muscles rippling as he sharply jerked the boy's head to the side.