Chapter 8: The Unexpected

The past few days of packing had worn you thin. You had severely underestimated how much stuff a family of three could amass and the amount of dust that could possibly accumulate in a New York apartment.

You were thankful though for being able to successfully avoid Charlie for the past six days but you knew that you had no escape today. It was Sunday which meant that Charlie wouldn't be at Exit Ghost and more importantly, that you'd have to spend the entire day with him.

It was early February and luckily the winter chill was already on its way out. You got dressed simply and comfortably. Since you knew that the day ahead would be busy, you decided to go bare-faced – after all, there was no one you were looking to impress.

You reached Charlie's unit and took out your set of keys. You weren't sure if you should ring the doorbell or just let yourself in. It was a Sunday so wouldn't his family be home? They weren't home yesterday so surely they'd be in today. Would it be strange if you rang the bell and his wife came to the door? Or what if his kid was the one to answer? What would you say? You did send Charlie a text just 5 minutes ago, letting him know of your arrival to which he simply replied 'ok'.

What a Charlie-like reply.

After a few more moments of deliberation, you decided on just letting yourself in. After all, his family had to know that you had been coming in all week to pack their home. As you stepped through the door sheepishly, it came to your surprise to find that there was no one in sight.

You left your shoes at the door, took off your sweatshirt and called out, "Mr Barber?" No response. You walked into the hallway and noticed that the door to the master bedroom was open. You called out again, "Mr Barber? Are you there?"

Just then, Charlie stepped out into the doorway. Clearly, he was unprepared to greet you as he stood there shirtless, only clad in a loose pair of grey sweats that hung from his hips. His hair still dripping wet and plastered over his cheeks. A raggedy grey towel was in his grip.

"Oh," he followed by your name, "I didn't hear you come in, just give me a second." Somehow hearing your name from his lips in such a setting made your cheeks flush instantly. You took a quick second to scan his image – you couldn't help yourself. You traced the outline of his well-built shoulders, down to his chest and to his abdomen which was kissed by a faint trail of hair that led to his crotch. You had to stop now.

You nodded and made your way out of his sight to hide your embarrassment but also to stop yourself from looking at Charlie's bare chest which was perfectly toned and undeniably seductive. Somehow his undressed state made his shoulders appear even broader.

After a few minutes, Charlie made his way into the living room now fully clothed. You were already busy sealing up boxes.

"Sorry if those aren't packed as well as yours." He motioned to the box that laid in front of you.

"It looks fine to me, don't worry." You said as you lifted the box off the coffee table.

"Let me help you." Charlie rushed to assist you which was very much unnecessary. As he hopped over to reach for the box from in front of you, your eyes met and somehow you were at a loss for words. Something in Charlie's eyes looked different. They looked slightly puffier than usual with a tint of redness glazed over them. You weren't sure if you were in any position to comment so you decided not to.

"You look nice today," Charlie spoke, catching you off guard.

"Oh, thanks." You replied curtly, trying to hide your discomfort and confusion.