Chapter 4

Natalie couldn't find Arnold.

Or the beer keg.

She opened every door of the first floor to the mansion until she came across the kitchen.

The counters were empty and as far she could see, there weren't any beer kegs either. The kitchen was so clean and brand new that it looked like it was just remodeled.

Guess that must be in the upstairs kitchen.

She thought as she turned around to leave.

She immediately came face to face with Christopher Grayson.

"H-Hi." She spoke, her heart almost jumping out of her chest.

"Hey." Chris replied, seemingly unfazed by the entire situation. "Did you punch Ian Gardener?"

Natalie frowned, looking up to his piercing gray eyes. "Who?"

"Ian Gardener." He repeated.

"Uh no." Natalie spoke as she took a much needed step backwards. There was only one guy who was punched tonight. "But Fiona might've."

He stared at Natalie for a while with a blank look in his eyes.

Natalie stared back.

Christopher Grayson has always been a mystery to Natalie. Being the son of the richest state governor alive, he was always under spotlight. Every single thing he did ended up in the papers so he clearly learned to always have his guard up his signature blank look was proof of that.

He barely talked to anyone and always had this aura of danger around him. Natalie herself had only ever seen him talk to David and Jess. Even when David and Fiona would bring him along to some of their hangouts, Chris would just stand in the corner, a drink in his hand and a sullen look in his eyes; only spoke when spoken to.

When the staring contest got a bit too much, Natalie looked away and cleared her throat. "Um, do you know where the beer keg is?"

Chris shook his head. "I'm looking for Ray. Have you seen him?"

"He's probably with Carla." She replied, resisting the urge to cringe.

Chris didn't say anything instead walked to the refrigerator and took out two beer bottles. He handed one to Natalie.

"Thanks." She spoke, feeling dumb that she didn't check the fridge.

She watched as Chris frowned and then proceeded to walk out the room without saying another word.

For a second, she wondered if she had done something wrong. Chris has always been confusing to her despite their lack of contact. In the past, Natalie can only recall one complete conversation she had with him on the first day of school when he had asked her for Fiona's number.

Shrugging at the memory, she walked out of the kitchen too.

On top of the glass dining table stood Ray Jensen with Carla, dancing together like their life depended on it.

The music suddenly turned into a slow one and Ray grinned, wrapping his arms around Carla and moving slowly. Carla rolled her eyes whilst smiling and letting him sway her.

Natalie leaned on the door frame and stared at them in awe. They looked so much in love.

Ray, being the captain of the football team, wasn't short of admirers and nor was Carla, being the epitome of perfection. Yet somehow these two completely different people found each other and fell in love and Natalie found solace in that.

Even though Carla was a bitch who cheated on Ray with David, Natalie still hoped Ray and Carla will stay together for Ray's sake.

It would weirdly give her hope too. That if Ray could still love Carla even after her royally profound fuck up then somewhere out there was someone who would love Natalie and pay no mind to how fucked up she is.