Chapter 5

As Rachel jumped up and down on the sofa, A little crack was starting to form at it's base.

The wood below was chipped and appeared to be wet. It's once brown paint was nowhere to be seen.

Natalie worried because it could give out any second.

"Rach, be careful." She spoke.

The 4 year old paid no attention to her as she continued her jumping. A long chocolate bar was in her hand and a ray of giggles came out of her mouth as she munched on it.

Her hazel eyes narrowed on the cushion underneath Rachel's barefeet. With every jump it was getting further inside the square.

"Natie, I'm going high!!" Rachel yelled as she pushed her feet even harder on the cushion in an attempt to jump higher.

Worry was evident in Natalie's eyes.

"Sugar high, that is."

The staircase gave a loud creek as a man in his late fifties made his way down. His forehead creased as he struggled to button the last of his chef's jacket. The jacket in question had quite a bunch of burnt patches on it and stains that had been probably tried to get rid off but had ended up making it worse.

Natalie smiled. "It's good to see you again, Mr. Brooks."

"I have told you to call me Donald, Ms. Orlov." He spoke with a teasing smile.

Natalie winced. She hated being called that. And Donald knew that. "Right, sorry."

Donald Brooks ran a hand through his brown hair and looked at his daughter going up and down so early in the morning. "You know you don't have to bring chocolates for her everytime you come over, my child."

"Oh it's nothing." She spoke, a warm feeling spreading in her chest as she watched Rachel lick the wrappers of the chocolates she just ate. "I used to eat twice as much when I was her age."

Donald raised an eyebrow. "I hope you know you're spoiling her."

"Children deserve to be spoiled. They didn't ask to be born." Natalie spoke the same words Mr. Brooks had spoken to her mother before.

"Throwing my own words back at me? That's cruel, child." Mr Brooks shook his head in fake disappointed.

Natalie gave him a smile before turning to Rachel who had stopped jumping and was now listing the names of chocolates she wanted her to bring next time.

"Oh and the pink ones, Natie. Oh and Toolerooonnee!" Rachel went on.

Natalie laughed. "Don't worry I'll bring every single one next time."

"Yes and I just might ban you from my house." Mr. Brooks spoke.

Natalie smirked. She knew how fond Mr. Brooks was for her. "That will be harder on you than me."

Mr. Brooks frowned. "Now you're using my love against me?!"

Natalie couldn't help but chuckle.

"Daddy!" Rachel yelled throwing her arms up. "You never bring Chocky."

Donald Brooks glanced at his daughter. She had stuck her neck out as she pouted at him. The small of her mouth and shirt was covered in chocolate. Her hand still clutching on the candy wrapper.

Donald couldn't help the smile on his face as his heart melted. He walked over and picked her up in his arms. He used his sleeve to wipe down her face.

But Rachel resisted. "No!" She wiggled in his arms.

"Rachel." Donald spoke in a warning tone.

But that never worked on Rachel. She twisted and turned in his arms to the point where Donald almost lost his grip. "You never bring Chocky. You never-!"