Nick Fury shot and in the hospital pronounced dead.

Just as the two got home at the same time after whatever the two were doing, their neighbors that Marissa is suspicious of ever since they moved into the apartments. "That's so sweet. That is so nice. Hey. I gotta go, though. Okay, bye. My aunt, she's kind of an insomniac. Yeah." The woman tells him as she gets off the phone, making him smile. Marissa rolled her eyes as she stays close to him. 

"Hey, if you want...if you want, you're welcome to use my machine. Might be cheaper than the one in the basement." He offered. 

"Oh, yeah? What's it cost?" She asked. 

"A cup of coffee?" He asked as he looks at her. 

"Thank you, but um...I already have a load in downstairs, and, uh...you really don't want my scrubs in your machine. I'm just finished orientation in the infectious diseases ward, so." She explained. 

"Ah, well, I'll keep my distance." Steve told her. 

"Well hopefully not too far." She flirted causing Marissa to go red in anger but calms down. "Oh, and I think you left your stereo on." As she turned back to him before she continued to walk away

"Oh. Right, thank you." He told her appreciative. 

"Yeah." She replied as she gets away. Steve and Marissa looked at each other before they got inside the apartment through the window with Marissa getting a glass spear ready and Steve grabbing his shield for protection only to come to Fury sitting on the couch

"I don't remember giving you a key." Steve stated

"You really think I'd need one? My wife kicked me out." Fury said as he looked at him. 

"Didn't know you were married." Marissa stated. 

"A lot of things you don't about me." Fury told her

"I know, Nick. That's the problem." Marissa told him as Steve turned on the light making Fury's injuries noticeable before Nick motioned them to be quiet before turning the lights back off and shows them a small text. 'Ears everywhere'. They remained quiet as they watched him text something else. 

"I'm sorry to have to do this, but I had no place else to crash." He stated as he shows them the text. 'SHIELD compromised'. 

"Who else knows about your wife?" Steve asked as Fury was texting and shows him 'You two and me.'

"Just...my friends." Nick answered.

"Is that what we are?" Steve asked.

"That's up to you two." He answered before he got shot three times through the wall. The two looked up at the killer while Steve dragged Fury's body to the next room while Marissa goes out of the room chasing the shooter before she seen the flash drive being given to Steve. She continued running until Steve caught up before they get to the same rooftop as him as Steve threw his shield at him. The man caught it looking at them causing Marissa to sense something familiar but off with the man as he threw the shield back and disappeared. 

In the hospital the two were watching doctors and nurses taking out the bullet and trying to get Fury responsive only to get nothing so far. Natasha met up with them watching the whole entire operation. "Is he gonna make it?" She asked. 

"I don't know." Steve answered.

"Tell me about the shooter." Natasha told them

"He's fast and strong. Had a metal arm." Marissa answered thinking. She knows she seen him from somewhere but she didn't know where yet. Soon enough Maria got right beside them watching the operation as well. 

"Ballistics?" Nat asked Maria. 

"Three slugs, no rifling. Completely untraceable." Maria answered. 

"Soviet-made." Nat guessed. 

"Yeah." Maria confirmed. They all watch Fury's state deteriorates as they listen to the doctors and nurses talking.

"He's in V-tach." A male nurse stated.

"Crash cart coming in." A female nurse announced. 

"Nurse, help me with the drape." The doctor demanded

"BP is dropping." The male nurse told the doctor

"Defibrillator!" the doctor demanded trying to get a pulse. They all watch in shock at the flat line listening. "I want you to charge him at one hundred."

"Don't do this to me, Nick." Nat muttered. 

"Stand back! Three, two, one. Clear!" the doctor yell before giving fury a shock. "Pulse?"

"No pulse." The male nurse answered. 

"No pulse." Another doctor told the other doctor. 

"Okay. 200, please. Stand back! Three, two, one. Clear!" The doctor yelled before giving him another shock. "Give me epinephrine! Pulse?"

"Negative." The male nurse answered

"Don't do this to me, Nick. Don't do this to me." Nat muttered as they watch the doctors trying to get him back to life but fails calling the death time. 

"What's the time?" the doctor asked. 

"1:03, Doctor." The female nurse answered. 

"Time of death, 1:03 a.m." the doctor announced as Marissa and Steve looks at the flash drive given to them. Soon enough the three were in the room where City's body was laid out with a crying Nat and Steve and Marissa with a serious look on their faces as Agent Hill walks inside. 

"I need to take him." Maria told them. Steve walked up to Natasha calmly as Marissa stayed back watching. 

"Natasha." Steve calmly said. She didn't respond she touched Fury's forehead before she walked out of the room with Marissa and Steve behind her.

"Natasha!" Marissa exclaimed a bit looking at her causing Nat to stop and look at them. 

"Why was Fury in your apartment?" Nat asked the two demandingly. 

"I don't know." Steve lied looking at her as Rumlow walked up to them.

"Cap, Serg, they want you two back at SHIELD." Rumlow told them

"Yeah, give us a second." Marissa told him

"They want you two now." Rumlow told them

"Okay." Steve told him as they turned back to Natasha. 

"You're a terrible liar." Natasha told them as she walked away soon enough. 

"STRIKE team, escort Captain Rogers back to SHIELD immediately for questioning." Marissa heard Jasper through one of the STRIKE team's earpieces while Steve stopped by the vending machine. 

"I told him. " Brock told them while she watched Steve put the flash drive in the vending machine as soon he noticed it before he walked over to Rumlow with her. 

"Let's go." Steve told them

"Yeah." Brock told him. "STRIKE, move it out."