Four |

Four |

            And it was locked. I breathed out slowly, of course! Of course it was locked! I pressed against the door, wiggling it like no one's goddamn business. The last thing I wanted was to be wandering the Dead Zone without a proper weapon.

            "Banging the door isn't going to make it open," a voice said behind me.

            I flinched, flying to turn and stare at the woman in front of me. My eyes narrowed as I took in her appearance, from her white hair to her one hazel eye and her pure blind other eye. My body tensed as I stared at Ophelia Dore, the deadbeat mother of Idris. She was Lilith's dog, and rarely came out of the clinic, working in the shadows making and testing new weapons in and off the island. I inhaled slowly, taking a step back and away from the door.

            "I was just seeing if Dad was in," I lied slowly.

            Her brow went up as she moved past me to unlock the door, "You're as good as a liar as your mother. What's your plan, steal a gun and leave the island?"

            "Shouldn't you worry more about your kid than what I'm doing?" I snarled.

            She smirked, "You'll get no where on your own. Each gun can only be unlocked by a nine digit code that only your father, Lilith and myself know. Come on, you'll need my help."

            I didn't move, "Why would you help me?"

            "Call me curious," she replied, stepping inside the dark clinic, "Come or don't, waste your time or don't but stop wasting mine."

            I said nothing as the door swung shut behind her. My heart hammered against my ribs as I considered the betrayal I'd be causing. This woman caused Idris nothing but suffering over the past years, and here she was acting like she had done nothing wrong. My fingers curled into fists and I had half a mind to tell her where she could shove her help. But she was also right, I would never leave this island without her help.

            "Damn it," I muttered, my heart hurting, "Idris please understand."

            I followed after her as the wind howled at my back. Slipping into the building, I could quickly see her figure disappear down the dark hall. My eyes narrowed and I ran after her. Despite this building also being a health clinic, there was rarely health issues. In my entire years of living there was only one man with a long term disease and he was allowed to stay at home with Lilith making daily visits. This clinic was more of a front for the weapons and other lab experiments than anything else.

            She hummed as I reached her, and began to lead me into my dad's office.

            "What are we doing here?" I asked slowly.

            She turned on the light before gesturing to the large locked weapon's case. I watched her carefully as she unlocked it, revealing new weapons that I had never seen before. My eyes widened, these weapons were not the kind the island would be using—they'd be too dangerous to the user. I crept closer, surprised that my dad could even be involved with such weapons. Blood mace, blood grenades, throwing knifes attached with little blood packets, a rocket launcher with what I'd assume would be blood rockets, blood charged machetes.  

            "These aren't meant for zombies," I said slowly.

            Ophelia nodded, "These were meant for war. Take your pick."

            "Why would the island have these made?" I demanded angrily.

            Her eyes narrowed, "Take your pick and leave the island on whatever stupid quest you've decided to go on. I didn't help you to hear you ask stupid questions."