Thirty-One | Idris

Thirty-One | Idris

We were in a hurry—a terrible hurry and the state of the entire world depended on it. So why did we both immediately pause to stare at Grandad when we spotted him on the highway? Maybe it was because the elderly man was trying to lead a horde of zombies away from the direction of the tunnel by dangling a rope tied to what looked like a dead bird off the bridge. Or maybe it was because he was doing so while wearing camouflage clothing and had his face painted. My cheeks heated with embarrassment, but I had to admit, it was kind of...endearing.

"Should we?" I whispered.

Ben nodded, holding back laughter, "Y-yeah."

"Grandad!" I hollered.

He paused, looking around carefully before his head turned towards our direction. I could help but smile as he gave a study wave. Grandad was always a hard man but he was really just soft inside. I could see from here the way he struggled to contain his smile, and the crow's feat that pulled at his eyes. We moved over to his side and Ben gave me a nod before taking the rope from him. Grandad grunted but handed the rope over.

"What are you two doing here?" he asked me, "You've been eating alright? Your cheeks are looking pale. Where's your inhaler?"

I rolled my eyes, "I-I've got it in my pocket. I'm alright."

"What's going on then," he hummed, looking over to Ben, "Benard?"

Ben glanced at me then down at the dead pigeon, "Idris will explain. You want these zombies away from the highway?"

"I sure do. Use the rope or lure them away from a safe distance. Just don't be running in front of them. I only recall one idiot stupid enough to do that."

Ben headed off and I nervously looked down at my feet.

I remember Grandad had travelled all the way to Sky City for them on my birthday. I had complained about how my old ones kept cutting into my heels, so he went to Sky City where they had some shoes that were designed for the parkour they did across buildings and whatnot. I remember being so afraid that he wasn't coming back—that's how it was with dad—and when he did I didn't care about the shoes. He didn't understand it, but I realized in that moment I couldn't care less about shoes or cake or even a stupid song.

So, I told him everything and for a moment, he was silent. He listened to my words patiently, his head nodding every so often to acknowledge my words. I gained confidence as I spoke, and even allowing my real anger to seep into my words.

I was angry.

I was angry at this world and I was angry and the men who ruined it.

"Alright," he finally cut in as I paused to breathe heavy, "I get it boy. Take a breath. Where's Eero now? I imagine Mira is flipping out right about now."

I imagined the same.

"She's heading to warn the Mountain Men then is going for Sky City," Ben called, jogging over to us.

I noticed the rope-bird was gone and the horde had moved through the under pass of the highway and shambled towards the city. The scent of sun cooking, old flesh tickled my nose. It wasn't a terrible smell—just vaguely smelt like dried deer. Grandad once told me the entire dome smelt like rotten flesh so bad it had people fainting, but I couldn't imagine it. I guess that's one perk of being born within a ruined world—you don't have the worries of a person whose world was being ruined.

"And," Grandad mused, looking at me carefully, "What are you all planning now?"

I shrugged my shoulders.

"Benard? What plan do you have?"

"Easy," he replied with confidence, "We'll go to the island and we'll regroup. Eero and Idris are safest at the island. Then, I'll help in any way I can; I'll go to the front lines."

His words didn't surprise me but they hurt all the same. Still he was trying to be the hero—the saviour for Eero and myself. I balled my fists but said nothing. In truth, I was afraid. It was easier to be saved than be brave enough to save.

I was a coward.

"What will you do?" Grandad asked me.

My eyes slowly drew up to his face, "I-I'm not sure."

He sighed, "I want to say you should stay on the island. If what you said is true, it'll be hit last. You'll be safe there and if I know Mira and her folk, and I do, she'll have a plan if the dead zone is destroyed. She'll get her girl out and you should be with her."

It was expected of me—everyone wanted me to live, and they gave me an out to all of this—a free coward pass. Hell, I knew everyone would be happy dying if it meant I lived. That drove me angry. I was a hypocrite. I didn't want to be babied but I was too afraid to do anything else but just that. This would define everything.

If I did nothing in the face of death, then I didn't deserve to be saved.

"N-no," I said firmly, "I'll fight too."

Grandad's eyes flickered, "You'll fight?"

"I will," I replied before smiling brightly, "I'm an illicit child. I have hyphened senses that could help save people on the front lines. I-I'll save lives too."

He placed his hand on my head, and I paused, warmth filling me.

"You're just like your dad," he chuckled, "Alright then. Do your best Idris. I'll get the tunnels ready and send who I can to the front lines. You do what you need to do, we'll all be rooting for you."

I nodded, tears collecting in my eyes, "R-right!"

"Let's gear up then," Ben hummed, "We'll meet Eero at the island."

I paused, as Grandad stared at me with pride and happiness. He smiled openly now, like Ben wasn't even here. I almost said it, I almost muttered "I love you" to him but it felt like a farewell. I'd never said it before because the last time I used those words, Dad died and Mom abandoned me. I said I'd never use them again and yet the need to do so bubbled just under my chest. I parted my lips, feeling the urge go silent on my tongue.

"Come on," Ben said to me before walking off, "We have a lot of land to cover."

I hesitated, looking at Grandad. I just, I couldn't move, and I couldn't say it.

"I love you kid," he said before me, "You're the best thing that's happened to me since little Sammy. Go on, don't keep your friend waiting."

I nodded my head, once again taking the coward way out.

"See you later," I said softly.

He chuckled, "Yeah."

Then Ben and I went off, leaving Grandad and his rope-bird on the highway.