chapter twenty-one.

LEO'S POV

It's been weeks since I've seen the kids and Lauren. They left the morning after we got into that stupid fight at dinner. She had told my mom and the kids that she had an emergency at work with one of her clients and had to be home, but only I knew that it wasn't the truth.

We're still together, yes, but it's not the same anymore. I haven't truly talked to her since that day in the restaurant. She'll pick up the phone when I call to talk to the kids, but that's all. 

I miss her. 

So here I am, sitting in my office lost in thought once again. It's been like this for the past few weeks. I sit at work, think about Lauren and the kids, do some work, and then go back to my room and lay in bed and watch TV until I just fall asleep. The cycle repeats.

I messed up everything with my family. I was so focused on this new job and this amazing opportunity that I neglected them. This job pays well, but I don't think I'm happy here. I feel like I'm not a person anymore because I work so much. My family is states away and I have no one. 

I let out another sigh as I focused back on my work and starting editing some work on my computer. This has been happening. I can't even focus anymore. 

10:15am. Geez, this day has gone by so slow. I feel like I've been here for hours on end. Every day goes by so slowly now. 

A picture of Lauren and I caught my eye as I tried to look for something in my desk. I picked it up. It was a picture of us in Central Park about six years ago. 

She looked beautiful. I remember looking at her that whole afternoon that we were there. We went there for a lunch date on a random afternoon. Most of the time was just spent laying on a blanket in the grass and staring at the sky. 

"I've always wanted to walk on a cloud," I remember she said.

"You'll fall right through it," I laughed. "That's impossible."

"I know what it feels like to be on a cloud. That's how I felt when I fell in love with you. It's one of the best feelings in the world."

A smile crept on my face as I thought about that day. 

God, what am I doing? I'm throwing away my marriage and my life with my family for this job. I can't believe the person that I've become. All I wanted was to provide for my family so that we could have a happy life, but I've found myself doing the exact opposite. I'd rather have no money than not have my family.

I'm so done with this job.

That's all I needed to get up out of my chair and head towards my boss's office. I'm really doing this. It needs to be done. For Lauren. For our kids. For our family. 

I knocked twice before slowly opening the door. He was looking at something on his computer.

"Hey Leo," he said while still looking at the computer. "What's up?"

I shut the door behind me and sat down on one on the fancy chairs in front of his desk. He was still looking at something on his computer. I let out a sigh. Here goes nothing.

"I, um," I began. I don't know how to say this.

He finally directed his eyes towards me, waiting for me to say something.

"I'm quitting, sir," I said, my voice starting to shake. He is intimidating. 

"What?" His eyes grew wide.

I let out a sigh, looking at my hands in my lap. "This job isn't for me. I thought I would be happy here, but I'm not. I know it's only been a couple of weeks, but I need to be with my family. Back home."

He was silent for a moment. His eyes were still on me as he seemed lost in thought. 

"I understand," he finally spoke up. "I could tell that something is going on with you. I wouldn't want you to be here if you're uncomfortable. Everything okay with the family?"

Wow. I was not expecting him to say that. 

"Not really," I said truthfully. "It's so hard to be away from my kids and my wife. My kids are young and I need to be there for them. I feel like I've missed out on so much. And my wife and I have been... Struggling, kind of. Things aren't they way that they used to be."

"I see. Well, I'm sorry to hear that, son. I'm not going to force or beg you to stay here, so you are free to go whenever you would like. Make sure you clean out your office, turn in your entry badge, and return anything else you have from here."

I nodded, feeling relieved at his reaction. I thought he would be a bit more assertive, but boy was I wrong. 

"Thank you. You have no idea how grateful I was for this job, but I think I'm meant to be back home in New York City."

My eyes followed him as he grabbed a pen and a piece of paper and began writing something down. What is he doing?

"I'm giving you the contact information of a publishing company in NYC," he spoke as he continued writing. "I'm good friends with the CEO and COO. I think you would fit in well there. You do amazing work, so they should most definitely hire you."

He handed me the piece of paper before he leaned back in his chair.

"I'll let my friend know that you're going to give him a call within the next week. Other than that, I wish you the best, Leo. I hope everything is alright with you and your family. Now go home. To New York."

I probably said thank you a million times before I ran back to my office and began packing it up. I didn't have much in there, so it didn't take me long to pack everything up. 

I placed the last picture frame I had in my box. With one last look around my office, I shut the door and began to walk towards the elevator. 

Now it's time to head back to my hotel room, pack everything up, and then go to the airport and get on a flight back to New York City.

I'm going home. 

------

Finally Leo is putting the family first!

I promised I would update more frequently, so I hope you all enjoy this chapter! There are only a few more chapters left before the end of Lauren and Leo's journey ):

I will be writing a new book after this one ends. I'm not sure what the plot will be yet, but once again, if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know! 

Have a great day everyone!