Chapter Four

This was supposed to be with Chapter Three, but I felt like that was getting to be a bit long and I've been told my chapters can get lengthy. Much like that sentence lol

~~
The front door opened and I shut down my computer, sniffing the air to see who it was. My stepdad convinced Marie to let me stay with her for a little while so long as I got a job within two weeks and moved out within six months. If I was still here, I had to rent my room and pay for whatever bills Marie felt were necessary. That didn't bother me because, although her father left her mother for my mom, Marie was incredibly fair and didn't harbor any negativity towards me. She treated me like her brother.

Actually, my issue had nothing to with Marie. Rather, my issue was with her best friend. Danielle Jenkins caused my well controlled beast to surge forward. Fortunately, I was only half a werewolf (my dad was a witch, so it was easier to control than most half breeds), so my temptations weren't as strong as they could've been. My best friend and Alpha, however, was gonna be in a bit of a pickle.

"Your sister's back," he told me lazily, laying across my bed with the TV remote in his hands. Suddenly, he went stock still, his eyes unfocused before he shook his head and practically flew to my window.

"What's wrong?" I asked, my hand on the doorknob. I could feel that he was more animal than person, right now, but I couldn't figure out why.

"I'll be back in the morning. Just leave your window unlocked," he snarled, jumping without explanation. I shrugged, knowing he'd be fine, and went to greet the girls.

He'd been my best friend since I was five. He'd been only one, but was so powerful that he could speak to me with his mind. From that moment, he'd appointed me his beta. Shortly after, Mom had been possessed by a demon and had tried to kill the Alpha. She'd been banished, and I with her, so I didn't see him again until three years. Everything fell back into place, as if I hadn't been gone for fifteen years.

Marie was sitting on a counter in the kitchen talking to who I assumed to be Danielle. My assumption was correct, of course. I walked in and leaned against the wall, smiling at my stepsister. She noticed me, but ignored me with a teasing smile. I rolled my eyes, it was too late for that game.

Danielle was facing the opposite wall, talking animately with Marie about some guy that was pissing her off. I chuckled as she dropped her voice, poorly imitating the guy, I guess? I don't know, it was cute.

She spun around, grinning up at me, "Hey, Ricky. How are you?"

"Can't complain," I shrugged, opening my arms for a hug, "What about you?"

"Eh, I've been better," she answered, wrapping her arms around my waist. Her scent attacked me, stronger than I remember it ever being, and I had to let her go so that I could breathe properly. Her scent, always reminding me of a pleasant gardenia, bombarded my senses with that of an exotic floral garden. I felt dizzy with sudden need and put a hand to my head. Danny, being the awesome, caring person she is, put a hand on my shoulder, bending to look me in the eyes, "Are you okay?"

"Yeah," I mumbled, "It''s just... your perfume is really strong."

She scowled and groaned, "What perfume?!" My stepsister laughed, covering her mouth at Danny's glare. "I'm not wearing a perfume! I don't smell anything, do you?"

Marie shrugged, still chuckling, "I think you smell amazing."

"Shut up, Ma'. Hurry up and order that pizza," Danny demanded, storming away. I watched her as she grabbed her backpack and ran upstairs. She was like a candle, fiery and passionate, but contained. I'd hate to find the person to set her flame free.