Chapter One

Chapter One

Mrs. Martinez droned about math, her voice growing fainter and fainter as my eyes slipped shut. Catching myself before my head hit the desk, I sat up and tried to recopy the note. Staying up 'til midnight when I had to get up at five had to be my stupidest plan to date. Even though I knew the material, Martinez would jump at the chance to write me up, so sleeping wasn't an option.

My best friend, Marie, tapped her pencil lightly against her desk to a rhythm in her head, glancing at me with a knowing smirk. I stuck my tongue out at her, causing her to chuckle lightly.

"Ms. Guerra, is my lesson funny to you?" Mrs. Martinez snapped, glaring at Marie down her nose. "If so, please share."

"I'm sorry Mrs. Martinez. I'm simply entertained by math, which causes me to laugh under my breath," she responded easily. Mrs. Martinez's nostrils flared as the class laughed loudly.

"Alright then. If you love math so much, then you wouldn't mind doing double work. Do all of the odd problems from pages 23 through 45," Mrs. Martinez ordered, causing groans to erupt in the class. Marie snickered.

"We already did that," she mouthed to me when Mrs. Martinez turned around.

"Really?" I mouthed back. She nodded, rolling her eyes and packing her backpack. Glancing at the clock, I saw that we could leave in a minute and a half. I wrote down the updated homework in my agenda before packing all of my open notebooks neatly in my backpack. All of my school supplies incorporated the color pink or flowers in some way, so it was fairly easy to differentiate my stuff from Marie's. Aside from the puns and doodles all over her notebooks and binders, our stuff was extremely similar.

The bell for the seniors to leave rang, and Marie and I stood to exit. All of our classmates waved at us as we left.

"Bye everyone, bye Mrs. Martinez," we said in unison. Mrs. Martinez nodded in parting, finishing her lesson.

"I think she's starting to like us," I noted, opening my locker and putting my unnecessary binders in.

"You too? I thought I was crazy," she grinned, putting a hand to her heart for effect.

"You are crazy," I laughed, closing my locker and walking around her.

Papers flew from my hand as my arm started tingling and I hit the ground. The warm body on top of me sent more wave of tingles through me. It was like being electrocuted except that it made my womb clench and my body warm. The deep groan above me sent a small moan from my lips as I realized this was a guy on top of me.

I'm not a slut. In fact, I didn't acknowledge many of the guys at this school. This guy, however, was scaring me with the hold he had on my self-control.

"Excuse me, sir, could you kindly get the hell off my friend?!" Marie demanded, lifting the guy by his shoulder.

I stood, taking my papers from his outstretched hand. Huh? When had he gathered them? He had dark brown eyes and strong features. His lips were thick, as were his eyelashes and hair. His hair curled to the bottom of his neck, glossy and black, complimenting his tanned skin. He had slight facial hair surrounding his lips, making him look so sexy. He was tall, towering over me, and very muscular. His T-shirt and jeans obscured very little of his physique; actually, they enhanced it, making everything seem bigger.

Oh my...

"You just gonna stand there, or are you gonna apologize?" Marie snapped, hand on her hip and her eyebrows raised.

The man glared at her before looking at me, his eyes softening, "I'm sorry for hurting you, it will never happen again."

The intense look in his eyes made my cheeks flush. I shook my head, "You're fine," boy, was that the truth, "I should've been paying attention."