The Interrogation Of Tom Simons

'Apartment B5 opposite dreams at visvang. interview occupant tommy on theseus'

So, Sapnap was just dumping the dirty work on him? Of course, he was. George sighed and put the goggles back on over his eyes. The mushroom hat weighed securely on his head but he reangled it a tad to leave his office door. He took a left and it didn't take long for him to reach the door at the end of the corridor, facing the hallway like an ever-watchful, omniscient presence. A petty part of him wanted to kick Sapnap's door but the biomagician was out on a shift. It wouldn't even annoy him.

The next best thing to do would be to kick the Blood God's door but he had seen his "plummeting to his near-death" incident last night on the news and felt that the last thing he needed for full emotional recovery was George taking out petty anger on his door. So he settled for a slightly aggressive knock on the Inbetweener's door and waited. He didn't wait long because the door suddenly appeared open with a bright green flash, like always.

The Inbetweener was sitting behind his desk, organising papers. The point of the green swirls fixed themselves on George's face and it was impossible to tell if he smiled in greeting. "Hello, King," He welcomed, a warm tone in his voice. "You're unexpected."

"Who would've been expected?" King asked, walking in and trying to ignore the flash of green that closed the door behind him.

"Jubilee Line," the number one replied, calmly. "I put him on probation for a week and... well, he's usually knocking on my door desperately by now."

King hummed thoughtfully, mind flickering back to yesterday evening: the bright blue tears, the screaming trains - had all that just been about the probation? "Well, I'm certainly not here to bail him out of his problems," began the biomagician, fiddling with his thumbs. "I'm here for an interrogation warrant."

"Whom for?"

"Someone named Tommy - lives at Visvang Flats in Apartment B5. I have been given a tip-off that he might know something of Theseus that he's withheld."

The Inbetweener nodded soundly. "Makes sense. Can you give me any more?"

King shrugged. "Wish I could. The tip-off wasn't helpful."

His superior's spinning eyes narrowed a little, more thoughtful than angry, but he pulled out a warrant and began writing upon it. He signed it off and handed it over to King, who took it with a pleased nod. "Will you need back-up?"

"Maybe for the interrogation," he began, "But not with picking him up; a vehicle and driver should do. I can handle myself in small spaces quite well."

"I know," the Inbetweener answered, with a light laugh. "You wouldn't be my number five if you couldn't." King smiled respectfully and started to stand up when the Inbetweener raised his hand. "Oh, and one more thing!"

"Yes, sir?"

"Your fight yesterday. With that... creature. You handled yourself well!" This time, he was definitely smiling, his two masks wrinkling a little. "How did you know restraining would work?"

King paused and took a moment to think. "It had sloppy coordination but good strength. If I could stop it from gaining momentum on its attacks, it wouldn't be able to cause much damage. So I restrained its joints, mostly, so it couldn't get enough leeway to attack."

His boss hummed, appreciatively. "Good thinking. Well, when you bring in this "Tommy" fella, take him to interrogation room four, please. I'll have another hero waiting for you in there."

King bowed. "Okay, sir."

"Goodbye."

The door appeared open in another colourful flash and George turned and walked out. He heard it close behind him but didn't turn, slipping the warrant into secret folds in his cloak. He breezed through corridors, yawning occasionally, and tried to ignore the way normal officers or low-ranked heroes stared at him. They saw him almost daily but they still seemed so stunned about a hero in their midst. It was almost like they didn't think they'd see him at his job.