V

Mainu started with the servants. Everyone he could find received thorough questioning and a magic demonstration, since that seemed to be the only way to prove his legitimacy without his emblem. He checked every corner of the castle, and the afternoon dragged on, but he didn't uncover a single lead. Even some of the highest-ranking servants were clueless. Mainu was slowly coming to terms with the fact that he might have to stay the night, and the luxurious bed that Ipris had shown him earlier was starting to look very tempting.

Everyone agreed. The castle was orderly, well-guarded and hadn't seen this much excitement in years. "Not since the last suitor came, anyway," a young servant sweeping the stables clarified. "They don't usually stay this long, you see."

Ipris crossed her arms, leaned against the nearest post, which was coated with grime that Mainu tried to convince himself wasn't manure, and groaned, "Thanks, Kenyon."

Making it clear that he wasn't courting the princess was something else that Mainu had given up on. With a sigh, he tried one more time. "A fate told me Ipris was in danger. It wouldn't lie. There must be something missing."

A newly brushed horse reached out to nibble Kenyon's hair, and he laughed, firmly pushing its head away. "Not now, Sugar." Sugar reluctantly backed up and stomped her foot with a snort, kicking up a plume of dust and dry hay that only strengthened the overbearing farm smell. Mainu winced. "I don't know, mister. The princess almost always has somebody watching her, whether it's tutors, servants, or Torval." The stable door creaked open, and Kenyon peeked his head out from the stall he was working in. "Good evening, your Highnesses."

A teenage boy stepped in and approached them with a stiff gait. His hair was neatly combed, he was wearing a set of spotless white finery, and on his padded shoulders was a much smaller and younger boy, barely ten years old. The older boy grinned. It was a perfect, princely grin. Even so, something about him seemed less than confident. "Kenyon," he nodded before looking to Ipris. "I hear there's news, Ris?"

Ipris made an attempt to look less pouty. "He's right over there," she said playfully, inclining her head.

The boy with his feet on the ground held out his hand to Mainu expectantly. When he spoke, it was with extreme care and precision. It was as if he was concerned about being tackled to the ground at any moment. "Prince Virgo. You're Mainu, right? It seems you've been terrorizing the servants a little. Everyone is talking about you."

Mainu swallowed. That had been a very unintended consequence of questioning every servant he could find. About the safety of the princess, no less. The situation was too ironic. "That's me," he said, cracking the smallest of smiles and shaking the prince's hand.

"Look how cute his smile is!" Ipris bubbled. It was remarkable how quickly she could cheer up.

Virgo smiled just enough in return and looked Mainu up and down with a thoughtful frown. The younger prince was distracted, his eyes darting between the rows of pearl-white horses. "All right, I suppose I approve," Virgo eventually said with a nod.

A small voice piped up. "He's good?"

"Ah, I almost forgot," Virgo chuckled with a heartiness that made him sound twice his age. "This is Aries. The youngest of the Kiriae line."

"So far," Prince Aries added from over Virgo's shoulder.

"Father says there are no more siblings coming. Are we not good enough for you?"

Aries pouted and squirmed down to the hay-covered ground. "I want a little sister!"

"You have a big sister," Virgo said with a smirk. "That will have to do." His attention turned back to Mainu, who was leaning on his staff, observing the siblings with amusement despite himself. "The real reason I'm here is to invite you to dinner."