Taking Aim

I nock an arrow, one eye shut. I purposely aim slightly off-target. I release the arrow, which soars through the air and lands with a thunk on the tree. Another win for Chimi!

I glance longingly at The Jungle Land. If I was born looking like everyone else, I'd be accepted there. I wouldn't have been abandoned. My fate wouldn't have been left to the gods.

Monkey chitters. I smile at him. He protected me when I was banished to the jungle at childbirth. My day is pretty uniform; wake up, eat berries, swing with Monkey through the trees, attempt to strike up a conversation with the panthers (they aren't very talkative), and practice archery. Oh, I love practicing archery. To be honest, I don't remember how I got my hands on a bow to begin with. I must've stolen it when I was young.

The only thing I've ever wanted was to meet my mother. My birth caused her death. I want to apologize to her for being born.

I hate humans. They shunned me! I live as a recluse now!
This sucks. I hate everyone but the animals. They're my family.

As much as I hate humans, I can't help wandering as close as I can to their kingdom and listening to their fascinating language.

"Iy lieck aurshuree. Ichs fuhn!" one says.

"Ye. Yo shinck yel wihn?" another.

"Goh, aurshurrs!" another.

"Git shuh gulten boh!"

What they're saying, I have no idea. But that's okay. I prefer listening to my native tongue, animal language! Types of growling, purring, and barking get the point across.

I hear Monkey calling my name.

"Awoooo! Arf, arf, arf, yowl! Growl, grr, hiss! Meow, meow, oo-oo-ee-ee! Chitter, chitter, awoo!"

Hey! Don't judge. That's my name! Although I've always preferred to be called Chimi. But they can't exactly say that, so they just call me Animal Human in their language. I can't say I approve of the name, but whatever. I don't care anymore. As long as the animals accept me, I'm completely okay with whatever they call me.

Before I go, I notice a shimmering box by the Jungle King. I gasp. What's inside?

I see a bunch of archers lining up, and a crowd of spectators, too. I don't know what's going on, but I want whatever's in that box.

I grab my bow and make my way closer. I have the skills. I will do whatever it takes to get my hands on that prize.