chapter 3

(y/n pov)

My parents don't bother dropping me off at the station.
I'm not upset about it though because they haven't done so in two years.
The last couple of times Cedric took me because he felt sorry for me even though I told him it was fine.

I step through the barrier and haul my luggage onto the train.
I begin to walk down the aisle as the train sets off. Just then, I pause.
I don't know where to sit. I don't have anyone I want to sit with.

I walk down the aisle quickly checking each compartment to try to find one that's empty. I'm not paying attention where I'm walking because I accidentally bump into someone.
"Oh, sorry-"
"Watch it," a voice snaps.

I look up and see Harry Potter standing in front of me. He looks kind of mad until he notices my face.
"Oh, Y/n," he says, "uh, hi."

"Y/n," I hear a female voice behind the boy and Hermione steps out from behind him, "hi, how've you been?"
"Fine," I lie.
"Oh, Harry, Y/n was my partner in potions last year," she tells him and he nods, "do you maybe wanna sit with us?"
"Yeah, sure," I say, slightly relieved.

*******

Hermione and Harry lead me to their compartment and I awkwardly sit down beside the window.
"So," she says, "Ron this is Y/n, my friend."
Ron nods in acknowledgement of me and gives a look to Hermione.

"Sorry for intruding," I say.

Harry is sitting beside me and moves his neck in an uncomfortable writhing manner. I don't know if it's my place to say anything but Ron and Hermione don't seem too fussed so I pretend to ignore it.
"Y/n, how's your summer been?" Hermione asks.
"Uh, not too good," I say, "you know grieving over the loss of your dead best friend really takes a toll on a person."

Awkward silence. I've made things uncomfortable.
Harry looks at me but I ignore him.

"Oh, I'm so sorry I never meant to--"
"It's fine, really," I say, "look, I'm clearly not welcome here so I'm just gonna go."

I get up to leave but Harry catches my hand.

"No, you can stay," he says. I look down at his hand in mine and pull a face, he instantly pulls his hand away turning red.
I sit back down without another word.

*******

The second the train stops I get up and collect my bag without a word. I walk out, not looking back at the trio.
"L/n," I hear my name called from behind me and turn around to see Malfoy walking towards me.
"Malfoy hi," I say.

He puts his hand on the small of my back and leans down to whisper in my ear, "are you okay?"
I nod.
He stands up straight, not removing his hand.
"You know," he says, "if it makes you feel better, one of my friends has a thing for you."
"Really," I say trying to sound interested.
"Yeah and he wants to ask you out soon. Although he wants me to talk to you first and see if you're available, pathetic," he laughs, "oh, hold on a minute I'll be right back."

Draco walks over to Harry and I'm not sure what he says but all I see is Harry lunge at him and he repulses back.
I rush forward and take Draco's arm.
"What's going on?" I ask him and look at Harry who stares at the ground, Ron's arms holding him back.

"He's a complete nutter that's what," Draco straightens his suit.
"JUST STAY AWAY FROM ME," Harry yells at him and I look at him, shocked.

Draco and I walk away and climb into the carriages with his mates I sit in between him and this other tall, Slytherin guy.
He glances at me out of the corner of his blue, sleepy eyes.

Draco nudges me and gently nods his head towards the guy when he's not looking.
"That's him," he whispers in my ear.

~~

Draco complains about Harry the whole way to Hogwarts which bores me to death.
When we get there, I say goodbye to him and go sit down by the fourth year with long blonde hair.
"Hi, Y/n," she says and smiles at me.
"Hi, Luna," I say to her.
"How was your summer?" she asks tilting her head at me.

"Well-" I pause considering what to tell her, "it was fine, thanks. Yours?"
"Oh, good," she says and begins to eat the food off her plate.

Cho sits down across from me.

"Cho," I acknowledge her.
"Y/n," she says and shifts uncomfortably, "how are you?"
"I've been better," I tell her and she nods.
"I know what you mean," she says and gives me a sad smile.
I muster a small smile back at her and stare at my empty plate.

*******

The next day is our first lesson of the year which is Defence Against the Dark Arts with the new teacher.

"Good morning, children," our incredibly pink teacher says with a sickly sweet smile, "Ordinary Wizarding Level examinations, O-W-Ls. More commonly known as owls! Study hard and you will be rewarded. Fail to do so, and the consequences may be severe."

She smiles again, reaches her wand over her shoulder and points it at a pile of books. They immediately float forward from behind her and hand themselves out to each student.
"Your previous instruction in this subject has been disturbingly uneven," she continues and I pick up the book set on the desk for me, "but you'll be pleased to know you'll be following a carefully structured, Ministry-approved course of defensive magic. Yes?"

I pick up the book and make a face at the child-like cover. Hermione's hand instantly shoots in the air.
"There's nothing in here about using defensive spells?" she questions.
"Using spells?" Umbridge squeaks and then makes a shrieking noise that I assume is a laugh, "well, I can't imagine why you would need to use spells in my classroom."

She walks towards Hermione's desk, still smiling.
"We're not gonna use magic?" Ron asks, scepticism laced in his voice.
"You'll be learning about defensive spells in a secure, risk-free way," Umbridge tries to explain.

"What use is that? If we're gonna be attacked, it won't be 'risk-free'," Harry says.

"Students will raise their hands when they speak in my class," Umbridge's tone drops, "it is the view of the Ministry, that theoretical knowledge will be enough to get you through your examinations which, after all, is what school is all about."

"And how's theory supposed to prepare us for what's out there?" Harry retorts.
"There is nothing out there, dear," Umbridge says with almost a warning tone, "who do you imagine wants to attack children like yourself?"
If Harry notices this tone he chooses to ignore it.

"Oh, I don't know. Maybe Lord Voldemort?" Harry says sarcastically.

The class goes quiet. I watch some people look down at their desks, and shift uncomfortably at the sound of the name. Others simply roll their eyes.
Umbridge has this strange look on her face as if she swallowed something sour. I can see her visibly search for words.
"Now let me make this quite plain," she manages walking forward once again, "you have been told that a certain dark wizard is at large once again. This is a lie."

"It's not a lie, I saw him. I fought him!" Harry yells angrily.
"Detention, Mr Potter" she snaps, storming back to the front of the classroom.
"So according to you, Cedric Diggory dropped dead of his own accord?"
"Cedric Diggory's death was a tragic accident," Umbridge says.

"An accident?" I say, angry, "and what exactly do you think happened to him?"
Harry looks at me.

"Do you want a detention too, Miss L/n?" Umbridge asks, grinding her teeth.
"No," I say.
"Then I suggest you stay silent," she utters and I fold my arms.
The class is very quiet.

"See me later, Mr Potter. My office," she folds her hands.

*******

1295 words - 4/9/22