Chapter 18

(Day 37: Good News)

Payal sat and waited for the argument to be over. While Max and Arnav's relations had not let it blow out of proportion, she couldn't say the same for herself.

Akash had been trying to catch her looks, to express himself. She had been avoiding it. At the mandap, she had tried to be angry at him. She hadn't been able to. Something about his eyes had calmed her down beyond measure. She was angry at him. She'd have to find other ways to show it.

She was brought out of her thoughts as two phones rang almost simultaneously. Payal looked up to see Max and Arnav check their phones. They picked it up, keeping a wary eye on each other.

I’ll Be Alright, I’ll Be Alright
I’ll Be Alright

Payal noticed identical sighs of relief on their faces. They looked at each other, as if in a cease-fire.

Tu Hai Toh Tedhi Medhi Raahein
Ulti Pulti Baatein Seedhi Lagti Hai
Tu Hai Toh Jhoothe Moothe Vaade
Dushman Ke Iraade Sacche Lagte Hain

"Hospital?" Max asked.

"Di..." Arnav was choking almost.

"What's wrong with Di?" Akash asked. They were the first words coming out of his mouth under this roof.

"Arnav..." Max came to him, while the Sharmas looked at him, surprised at his change of stance.

"Mahesh, what is it? Is Anjali okay?" Payal's mother asked. Payal realised that her mother, too, was quite invested in Anjali. If only for her husband.

Jo Dil Me Taare Vaare De Jaga
Woh Tu Hi Hai, Tu Hi Hai
Jo Rote Rote De Hansa
Tu Hi Hai Wahi

Arnav was shivering, a slight tell Payal had discovered when he was hitting an emotional extreme.

Max engulfed him in a hug. "It's okay, Chhote."

Payal heard Arnav. She was expecting a sob, but out came a chuckle.

"You're going to be fine. We're all going to be just fine." Max patted his back as Payal saw Arnav Singh Raizada break down and accept the hug.

Jaane Kyun Dil Jaanta Hai
Tu Hai Toh I’ll Be Alright
I’ll Be Alright, I’ll Be Alright

"Payal, Anjali is awake." Max's eyes were steady against hers.

Payal blinked in relief. Belatedly, she registered that Preetika and Lavanya were looking at each other in horror.

"Why are you both making that face?" Payal turned all attention to them.

"Nothing, we just..."

"Just what?" Payal pressed.

"Khushi, she-" Lavanya closed her eyes under the pressure. "I told her Anjali is in a coma. This morning."

"And I- I gave a key-card I swiped from a nurse last night." Preetika admitted. "But I didn't know about Anjali's condition until an hour ago. I thought Khushi wanted to visit NK."

"Why would Khushi want to visit NK?" Lavanya asked. "Is he staying over for Anjali? Is that why he isn't around?"

Payal finally took pity on Lavanya. NK really had kept her in the dark, for reasons he wouldn't share with even Payal after multiple attempts over the past few days. Now, Payal accepted, there really was no point in hiding his white lie. "NK fractured his legs in the accident. He's still recovering."

(Day 37: Rani Sahiba)

Saari Duniya Ek Taraf Hai
Ek Taraf Hain Hum
Har Khushi Toh Door Bhaage
Mil Rahe Hain Gham