1.03

Next Spring

"Dad, have you seen my flannel?" Liliana yelled down the stairs.

"You need more than that flimsy flannel!" he shouted back as the kitchen timer went off. "It's only 60 degrees outside!"

"It'll be nice at Camp!"

Liliana pulled her straightened hair into a high ponytail. She smiled at the feeling of herself in a Camp Half-Blood shirt for the first time in months and ignored how messy her room was around her.

"We live three hours north, Liliana!" she winced at the frustration in his voice. "What on earth makes you think the weather is going to be the same!"

"Heat rises!"

"Liliana!"

She winced.

"Come downstairs, now!"

She rushed down the stairs, making it halfway before running back up to grab Annabeth's old hoodie.

"Good morning, Dad. Good morning, Halmoni."

"Good morning, darling," Halmoni greeted with a tired smile.

Her Halmoni was the bravest woman Liliana had ever met. She had escaped North Korea with her younger brother when they were only seventeen and fourteen. Liliana didn't know the entire story. She doubted she ever would. Yet, she knew her Halmoni (aka grandmother) and her great-uncle, who she simply called her uncle (aka Samchon), made their way to China in the winter.

They lived in China illegally for seven before escaping to South Korea.

They settled there but were forced to leave for America only ten years later to keep Hyunjin safe. They wanted him as close to Olympus as possible.

"Morning, kid," Hyunjin accepted her back hug with a sigh as he continued to play with some dough. "Could you please put the fresh tteok in its display? The store's opening in ten minutes."

"Yes, dad."

She carefully lifted the tray and made her way to the front, where her great-uncle was wiping down the counters. He opened the back of the display for her.

"Thank you," she placed the tray down. "What are you doing awake? Didn't you work after closing yesterday?"

"Yes, but Mr. Lee is picking up his Saeng Cream Cake at six. How do I look?"

Liliana giggled as her great-uncle bent down. She tucked a bit of his hair behind his ear. "Very 멋있는."

"You've been practicing! 매우 좋은!"

She beamed at the praise.

"It's opening!" her dad hollered from the back. "Someone grab the tray of dasik!"

"I'll get the food," Liliana offered, watching her uncle straighten up.

The kitchen was an organized mess. At one end, her father was preparing food to be put in the oven. On the other, her grandmother was icing Mr. Lee's cake.

In the middle, there were three cardboard boxes of dasik cookies.

"Can you do the labelling?" her grandmother asked. "Each box is five dollars."

"Yes, Halmoni," she opened the top drawer, pulling out a sharpie and the pages of barcode stickers. She flicked through the pages. "Found it," she muttered to herself. She stuck a barcode to each box and wrote, 'Kim Delicacies - $5.00'.

She headed to the front with the boxes in hand.

"Do you know when I'll be leaving for Long Island?" she asked, putting the boxes in their places.