hell house

chapter twenty-three ~ hell house

Interstate 35

The impala roared down the road as the speakers filled the car with Fire of the Unknown Origin by Blue Öyster Cult. Sam was passed out in the front passenger seat while Haven sat in the back, reading.

"Any luck on the cuff?" Dean asked as he looked at her through the rear view mirror.

Haven shook her head and looked at the cuff. It felt like it weighed 100 pounds and kept dragging her down, "Nope, I read everything on magical objects and found nothing. Whatever Meg put on my wrist, it's blocking my powers and its probably tied with something ancient."

"Hmm," Dean said. "What are you reading?"

"Just a book," Haven closed it and looked at Dean. "Since when are you interested in reading?"

Dean scoffed, "Pfft, I'm not. I'm more interested in you and why you're back there when sleeping beauty is in my passenger, snoring."

Haven hummed, "Well, it's spacious back here and I have a nice view back here of you. It works out for me."

"Are you flirting with me, Emerson?" Dean smiled.

"Maybe, maybe not. I guess we'll never know," Haven shrugged before leaning over the seat and kissing Dean on the cheek. The older Winchester flushed as Haven settled back into her book.

Dean, still smiling, look over at his sleeping brother and started to place a plastic spoon in his mouth.

Haven rolled her eyes, "What are you doing?"

"Shh," Dean said as he pulled out his phone and snapped a picture of Sam with the spoon hanging out of his mouth. Dean chuckled as he reached for the radio and turned it all the way up. He sang along, "FIRE OF UNKNOWN ORIGIN, TOOK MY BABY AWAAYYYY."

Sam was startled awake at the singing as Dean pretended to play the drums on the steering wheel. Haven laughed at the brothers as Sam pulled the spoon out of his mouth and turned the radio down. "Ha ha, very funny."

Dean chuckled, "Sorry, not a lot of scenery here in East Texas, kinda gotta make your own."

"Man, we're not kids any more Dean. We're not gonna start the crap up again," Sam said pissed.

Haven perked up, "Start what crap up again?"

Sam shook his head, "The prank stuff we used to do as kids. It's stupid and it always escalates."