shadow

chapter twenty-one ~ shadow

chicago, illinois

Haven walked into the local bar in the area where the local, Meredith, was murdered just last week. Pool table balls clinked together on pool tables as a group of guys played a game. Haven was supposed to meet the Winchesters here after they got a closer look at the apartment and Haven went to the police station to search their minds for information on the case. Haven searched the building for any sign of the Winchesters and noticed a certain one at the bar, flirting with the bartender.

The witch made her way across the room as guys whistled at her and stopped by Dean. She smiled at the girl, "He's taken."

Dean looked baffled as she was here so early as the bartender scurried away, "Hav, I-"

"What are we? Because we've slept together a couple times and act like a couple, but leave it unspoken. So you figure that out Dean and let me know, but until then, no more fucking. Got it?" Haven passed a smile before making her way towards Sam who entered the bar.

"Haven!" Dean called after her as he followed the witch. Haven ignored him and joined Sam at a table.

"Talked to the cops like you asked," Haven told the younger Winchester.

Sam looked at his best friend, "And?"

Haven smiled, "There's something they left out of the papers. Meredith's heart was missing."

"You think it's a werewolf then?" Dean asked as he took a seat at the table.

"No, the lunar cycles don't line up," Sam told him.

Dean shrugged, "Well, I talked to the bartender."

Haven scoffed, "Get anything besides her number?"

"There's nothing to find out. Meredith worked here, she waited tables, everyone here is her friend and everybody says she's normal. She didn't do or say anything weird before she died," Dean shrugged. "What about the symbol, did you find anything?"

"What symbol?" Haven asked.

Sam turned the journal to Haven so she could look at it as he continued, "No, nothing. It wasn't in Dad's journal or any of the usual books. I just gotta, dig a little deeper, I guess."

Dean looked up from number on his napkin, "Well there was a first victim, right? Before Meredith?"

"Yeah, his name was uh," Sam shuffled through his papers until he found the right one. "Ben Swardstrom. Last month he was found mutilated in his town house. Same deal, door was locked, the alarm was on."