CHAPTER 8: Unaware

Saturday...

     Please...tell me it was Saturday. I knew it's 6 o'clock. In the evening. Away from floodgate B.

    Tell me!

    Assure me!

    Where are my friends? Ava? Where's Lewis?

    Allison? Sadie? Ricky?

    We were running. Looking for somewhere to hide. Somewhere crowded. I was sure of it! Rosie and Ricky had me by the arm. We were all running away from those people. I clearly had them beside me.

    TICK. TOCK. TICK. TOCK.

    Again, with the clicking sound. It seemed to be a timer. What was up with my mind? I could not move my body! Where was I?! Where were my friends?!

                                *

    "I'd resist the urge of fighting,"

     I recognized that woman's voice, but a thick plastic-like blur in my eyes prevented me from scanning her face.

    "We wouldn't want any more accidents to happen, Mr. Cohen."

     That's my name. What was happening?

     "Oh! Did you forget again?" This woman chuckled so low that it made me quiver. I have heard of this somebody before. But where? Who was this person?

      She huffed, "People always forget. They always forget when they get caught."

      My head buzzed. It vibrated as if someone has been tasing me.

     I managed in a whisper. "Who are you? Where am I?"

     To which she replied with a menacing scoff. I'd add in another query, but my throat did not want to speak just yet. It throbbed.

     "Let's see..."

     With that, she slammed a table in front of me that I didn't even realize was there. And my wrists were...

     Handcuffed?!

     Her trance tensed as I moved hastily in my seat. My ankles were cuffed to the table's leg as well! What the heck was going on?

     "What? Why am I here?! What are you doing with me?"

     She scowled.

    "Tell me why am I here-?!"

    "You really don't remember? Or you choose not to?" She almost yelled at me, leaning on the table with both her hands rested on the top. My wrists felt burning. How long was I in these cuffs?!

     "What are you talking about?! Where are my friends?!"

     Then I remembered those sellers from the floodgate. Were we captured because of visiting the area? But what about those teenagers that followed us? Were they rescued?

     "Your friends?" she asked, gritting her teeth hard her jaw clenched.

     "Where are they?! Did you check the building? Did you find those men? They were after us-"

     "I've heard of that many times than you can imagine, Mr. Cohen. And believe me, it hardly ever come across as the truth."

     My head was way off the track. What was she talking about? My patience was growing thin by the moment. What if something happened to my friends? What if they got hurt?

     "Please...just, just tell me where my friends are-"

     The door opened. A man in a grey shirt under a black leather jacket entered.