↳ 𝐎𝐍𝐄: 𝐫𝐞𝐭𝐮𝐫𝐧 𝐭𝐨 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐫𝐨𝐨𝐭𝐬

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐓𝐑𝐄𝐄𝐓𝐒 𝐎𝐅 𝐒𝐌𝐀𝐋𝐋 𝐇𝐄𝐀𝐓𝐇  have been crowded and busy with hard-working people, who desired to earn at least enough shillings to place filled dinner plates on the table. While the small town seemed like a rat hole to the outside world, Evelyn grew up in a house around the corners of Garrison's and lived a rather simple life. Rosy fingers held the expensive material of the dress she bought downtown in London up, attempting to save the fabric from being pulled through the dirty puddles of the last rain.

Admiring glances of the young ladies were sent Evelyn's way, mixed with the despised ones from the older generation who thought she was an intruder. Over the past years, she was informed about the sudden death of her mother, the woman that never cared enough to gift her a remarkable childhood. Instead of playing a game, Evelyn was forced to sit by the counter in the Garrison and watch how the old males and females drunkenly sang to the played melody.

Rescued by the Shelby's, Polly turned out to be more of a mother to the brunette than her own could have ever been. Taking the child under her wing, she raised another one between the chaotic behavior of the five she already had. Without having to marry one of the males, Evelyn was a part of the family and walked the streets of Small Heath as a Shelby. Since the moment of joy, the world has turned a thousand rounds and changed.

Five years have gone by quickly. She wasn't the defenceless fifteen year old child anymore that needed the protective hands of the Shelby's above her head. Twenty-three years of age, Evelyn has grown into a young adult.

Turning the corner, Evelyn arrived at the front door of the Garrison's. Cheerful laughter was heard from the inside but the music has died down a long time ago. Trembling fingers pushed against the dirty glass of the front door, opening the entrance and being immediately engulfed in the white smoke of plenty cigarettes. A cough escaped the parted lips of the female, holding the black glove to the mouth to prevent more of the poisonous air to infiltrate her body system before she truly adjusted to the old ways again.

As any time of the day, the Garrison was filled with males, attempting to escape the exhausting days and drown the sorrow in the many glasses of beer. When the first glance landed on the female, the attention wandered and Evelyn found herself in the center while standing by the door. It didn't happen often that a nicely dressed female, except for well-known Polly, entered the bar and stayed longer than a minute in the disgusting mixture of thick air, smoke and alcohol. Five years older than when she has been a regular, she remembered how many times she sat at one of the tables, patiently listening to the long stories about the early life of an elder. This day, Evelyn wasn't a child anymore, she has grown into a woman.

Walking to the counter with the head held high, she ignored the common, whispered conversations and the lingering stares of the males. Hands placed on the wooden surface, the squinted eyes skimmed the space around Harry and she was surprised to still see the two little doors which were used as a window. A private room for any male named Shelby to discuss the further plans of the illegal actions and company. A strand of brown hair was brushed out of the face, when two large hands were slammed on the counter before her. The sudden aggressive behaviour caused Evelyn to flinch back, staring at the bartender in front of her with dilated pupils.

„This isn't the right place for a pretty lady from London." Harry stated with a chuckle, throwing the used and dirty cloth over the shoulder. Beside him, a blonde female poured beer into the large glasses, paying no further attention to the conversation beside her. „I'm looking for a man named Shelby, Thomas Shelby."

Suddenly, she was the center of the attention for a second time as several heads snapped in her direction. A request for the worst criminal in town wasn't the usual behaviour of females. A single eyebrow arched at the amused face of Harry, Evelyn awaited an answer from the bartender. Instead, the head of the blonde waitress tilted in her direction, a confused glimpse in the blue ring around the black pupil. „Thomas Shelby, have I heard that correctly?"