38. Accepting fate

🍎

⚠️ physical abuse, violence, bruises, mental abuse, blood, drugs, drugging, mentions of systematic murder/death sentence, kidnapping, hostage situation/imprisonment⚠️

"How interesting your refined taste seems to be"

Adar had never expected himself to be held captive by such an evil man, let alone a man that looks so similar to the man he truly loves. Sin, much like his name, is just like the evils the book of good of the second world talks about. Delicately beautiful, and yet cruel and harsh. In his beauty he is unmatched, much like his dark haired cousin. Tall, shining red eyes, white hair and well defined features. Both the opposite and the same as Saint. And yet with his actions he demonstrates his love for suffering, and his will to make them all quiver beneath his feet.

"Pretty, sure. But I never thought you would be the type to go after a witch"

Adar swears this man finds amusement in the way that he grabs his chin in a tight, iron grip, and stares into his eyes. Sin wears a smirk over his face that sends shivers down Adar's spine. It doesn't help that the winter witch is absolutely terrified of the cunning red eyes that stare him down, analysing every aspect of him that seems worthwhile. The winter witch feels his heart beat like a scared rabbit, as Sin laughs and forcefully turns his head to the side to inspect him further.

"What do you say, cousin? Are you not bothered by the way this scared little animal is under my will?"

Adar can't help it. His eyes wander across the hallway, to where Saint is kneeling on the carpeted, cold floor. Several rounds of rope are tied around his arms and stomach, held by one of the many guards surrounding him. His head is lowered, black hair covering his face, and Adar feels a lump grow in his throat once he is reminded of the fresh bruises and wounds that now lay over the vampire's face and body. How could they be so cruel? And yet he can't find himself to be surprised, as Adar always knew it would end up like this.

Him, kneeling on the floor of the outer fortress hallway, surrounded by guards at every corner. His dearest friend, Melora, tied up with metal magic chains and already heavily drugged, laying somewhere far away from them. The summer witch, crying silently in the corner, in a similar position as he is. The guards that were with them originally have already been taken to some kind of dungeon, perhaps to be slaughtered, Adar doesn't know. He doesn't want to think about it. And at the centre of attention is Saint, tied up with many ropes, beat up, and threatened by swords from all four directions around him. And yet, despite this being the worst possible scenario Adar could've imagined, it's about to get so much worse.

Could they have foreseen this? Yes, absolutely. However, could they have stopped this? Adar would like to think, no. After the many times that he tried to convince himself and others not to do this, there was no way they could ever have stopped this. This is fate. Them walking into this trap was inevitable. Just like he said before, what else would they have done? And still it stings. For how could fate always be so cruel to them, and only them. How could fate force them through a life of hiding, humiliation and constant suffering? Adar finds it especially unfair as he sits there on his knees, face held in the strong hands of the enemy, whilst his lover and best friend can do nothing to stop it.

Sin sighs when his cousin doesn't answer him. But it's not a sad or disappointed sigh, for how could he feel those things when he has done nothing but win? The three witches, Saint and the two rebellious guards came running down the summer tower steps, unknowing of what was waiting for them on the other side of the door. It was stupid of Melora to think that she could simply escape without being seen, stupid of the vampires to think that they wouldn't know that they were planning to break in and stupid of the guards to rebel. Sin, Hester and their dozens upon dozens of guards stood waiting for them, and once that door was opened Adar and the rest of them stood no chance. Melora was quickly drugged, Saint tied up and beaten and the rest of them were quickly left defenceless after that. Adar is, after all, the most useless seasonal witch, since he doesn't even have his youth to blame for his incapability in the magic field, like the summer witch has. They stood no chance after Melora and Saint were taken care of.