Hunt

TRIGGER WARNING - Domestic violence: not described but overheard

Whenever you wrap up a case early or have the afternoon off, or any free time at all really, you visit the bakery. The two of you spend hours chatting in the corner of the shop when the customers are few and far between.

Each and every patron that dares to walk through the door and steal her attention for an order earns a vicious glare. Those brief moments she caters to their needs are far too long for your liking, but you put up with it to see her smile even brighter as she scurries back to you afterwards.

You still regularly work overtime with an unparalleled enthusiasm for purging the world of worthless filth - your motivation merely being greater than previously for such tasks. These efforts were rewarded with a promotion from second lieutenant to lieutenant just last week.

Though no celebration was to be had, as only your coworkers are aware of your real career, you take great satisfaction in knowing that you have more power to hunt down and eradicate traitorous trash. It gives you enough peace of mind to enjoy the quiet moments you spend with your darling on days like today.

Or at least, it did until now.

The words that filter through from the back room as you step through the front door have a rage hotter than the bread ovens coursing beneath your skin. "You can't even make a sandwich right, you stupid cow! How many years have you been working this job and you still can't manage to do what you're asked!?"

It's her father.

"I'm sorry, papa! I'll make you another one right away!!"

"You're damn right you will, you useless wench!"

Turning on your heel, you leave before she finds out you were ever there. Steps swift, you will yourself to walk away, as far away as you can, so that there's no chance of your darling little creature witnessing you absolutely lose it.

Her timid nature and nervous habits now strike you as implying more than what you had assumed. She's a skittish little rabbit for a reason. A justification which you will not tolerate.

"Yuri, didn't you just finish your shift?" your superior comments as you step into the changing room to don your uniform once more.

"There's more treacherous filth that needs to be purged today," you reply before slamming your locker shut and walking straight to the document collections.

Your first course of action is to ensure there's nothing you overlooked in her family file with which you could immediately have him convicted. Yet three hours of scouring every last paper on every person in her family and every acquaintance they know and you have nothing. He's clean.

Frustrated and concerned, you fill your briefcase with a selection of espionage tools and leave headquarters. Knowing her father has already left the shop, you manage to calm yourself enough to return to her side.

The bell tinkles as you step through the door. It's almost closing, but she has hours of preparation left to finish. Silently you lock the door and flip the sign to closed.

Just as you turn back to the counter, she pops out from the kitchen and greets you with her usual bright smile. Your darling appears fine, and you breathe easier for seeing her be her sweet, cheerful self.

"Yuri, you're h- mmph!"

In three steps you cross the room and embrace her as tightly as you dare without hurting her. Arms pinned to her sides, head tucked under your chin, she stands wrapped up, unable to hug you back. But you want it that way. You won't let her see the tears welling up.