Snare

Artist credit: https://www

Artist credit: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/98907004 

Just like every day at the bakery, she doesn't finish whipping up the dough and batter for overnight proofing until well after the sky is like obsidian - flawlessly black. You watch through the tiny window as she trades her apron for a coat and turns off all the lights before slipping out the backdoor.

Out of the darkness that permeates the alley behind her, you wrap a gloved hand around her mouth right as she locks up for the night. Screaming would do her no good, and she knows that. Your grip is far too tight to let any sound pass anyway.

"That's a good girl. No need to struggle. Did I surprise you?" you coo in your calmest baritone voice while the other arm winds its way around her midriff.

Perhaps her mind is too numb with adrenaline to recognize your tenor. When she neither nods nor shakes her head by way of answer, you spin her around to meet a pair of crimson eyes gleaming under the rim of your officer's cap.

Though your hand has slipped from her mouth to her cheek, she doesn't dare call for help. Everyone knows there's no point resisting the SSS. She merely stands there, petrified. It's clear that she doesn't recognise you in uniform.

Your thumb swipes over her lips gently, and she watches the movement with terror. As you lean in for a kiss, you feel her brace herself for whatever nightmare she imagines awaits.

But you simply press your lips to her forehead, and let a soft chuckle rolls through your chest. As you pull back, you tip your cap up and smile.

"Yu...ri...?" she whispers with what's left of her courage.

"Mhmm," you hum cheerily.

"You're... an officer... in the secret police?" Her eyes search yours rapidly as she tries to put things together. From the look she wears, you can tell none of it is adding up. It shouldn't.

"Oh, did I never tell you about my job, bunny?" you asks with a sweet smile and tilt your head innocently. From the way she scans you, she clearly knows something is slightly off, but can't place it.

"You always wear a suit, so I thought you worked an office job..."

"I do!" you chirp. "At the most important office in the city," you whisper the secret you're very proud of.

"I see... so uhh... what are you doing here at this hour... in uniform?" You can feel her breathing slowing down and her body relaxing into your arms.

"I've come to get you and bring you home!" you sing and kiss her forehead again.

"Oh, you could have just stopped by the front door like usual instead of frightening me like this though," she scolds half-heartedly and pokes your cheek.

"Ah. Well, you see, bunny. That just wouldn't do," you explain gently. You wonder if she can sense the shift in your demeanor as you take her hand and thread it through your elbow. She pauses for a moment before shrugging off her suspicion and leaning her head on your shoulder as you walk her down the alley and out to the opposite street.