Chapter 4: Missing Souls

Hi everyone! Finally got an update in here too! It's a short chapter, somewhat of a filler, but it is still important, so I hope you enjoy anyways!

******************************************************************

Once Ciel had seen Hope to her carriage, he figured he needed to attend to whatever trouble Grell was trying to get them involved in. The reaper usually didn't just drop by to say hello, and even if he did, it surely never stayed that way. He didn't have to search for very long; Ciel found Grell and Sebastian in the kitchen. Sebastian had stopped in the middle of cleaning the china, and was giving Grell probably the dirtiest look Ciel had ever seen.

"Well, I see you found Sebastian," he began dryly. "Have you discussed whatever your problem is yet?"

"I have, but Bassy is refusing to help me," Grell answered, crossing his arms across his chest.

"As long as you didn't offer to have his children again, I don't see why he would refuse to help," Ciel replied, glancing between the two other men. "Care to fill me in on the details?"

"Someone is stealing souls," Grell said simply. Grell, being a grim reaper, had the ever so lovely job of reaping the souls of the dying and determine their fates based upon their cinematic record. It was a far from glamorous job, although Grell certainly added his own unique flair to it, but someone had to do it. "I went to reap a few souls last night, and none of them were there. They were no better than you demons."

Ciel raised an eyebrow, but said nothing on that matter. "Missing souls are never a good sign," he answered a bit scathingly. "Do you have any ideas as to who may be taking them, or why?"

Grell shook his head, pushing his glasses back in the process. "If I did, do you think I'd be asking you two for help?"

"So you're expecting us to do your detective work and figure out who or what is taking these souls?" Ciel inquired.

"Stolen souls are never a good thing, and I assure you, if they've stolen these four they'll keep going, and I'll be without a job," Grell stated, shoulders sinking slightly. "Not to mention they'll be no souls for your lot to devour, and I certainly don't want Bassy to starve."

"A little late for that," Sebastian muttered coldly.

"Anyways, you will help, right?" Grell inquired, trying to see where this left him.

Ciel glanced to Sebastian. "As much as it pains me... yes," he mused, looking back to Grell. "It isn't a good sign when souls disappear, as we have said countless times. So it would be wise to put a stop to it."

"Thank you," Grell replied. "I think my opinion of you may be changing, boy."

Ciel said nothing to that, but instead looked back to his butler. "In a few days, I will be having Miss Whitlock over for dinner once again. I expect this time to have no interruptions. Am I clear?"

"Yes, my lord," Sebastian assured.

"Miss Whitlock? Who is she? Have you finally started courting again?" Grell asked, his tone immediately changing from one of dread to one of excitement. "I was beginning to wonder if you were ever going to get over that silly girl."

Ciel shot the reaper an icy glare. "Whether or not you liked Elizabeth, she was my fiancée of many years. Obviously it was going to take me some time to move past her death."

"So how did you meet her?" Grell went on, disregarding the scorn in Ciel's voice as he leaned against the nearby counter. "You know I am a sucker for a good love story."

Ciel sighed. "At the Christmas party," he muttered. "I danced with her for a bit. I wouldn't call it a love story quite yet."

Grell let out a shriek of joy, clasping his hands in front of him. "Oh that must've been a sight to see. I was unaware you could dance. Last I knew you were still fumbling over your own feet."

"I have improved tremendously since you last saw me dance, Grell," Ciel retorted. Before Grell could give him a witty response, Ciel looked back to Sebastian. "I am retiring to the study. I have to pen another letter. So excuse me."

Without another word, Ciel left the kitchen and made his way up to the study. He sunk into the desk's chair, feeling suddenly very exhausted. It had been a long day, and honestly, he was just ready to head to sleep. However, he had business to attend to first. After he penned the next letter to send off to Hope, Ciel could finally get some much needed rest. Or so he hoped. He pulled out a piece of parchment and immediately began writing a quick note to be mailed out in the morning to Hope.

'Miss Whitlock,

First and foremost, I trust you made it home safely.

Once again, I apologize for how the evening's dinner progressed. I did not intend for there to be any interruptions, especially not one of this magnitude. I fear Grell may have had a valid reason for interrupting, but that is a matter I must attend to at a different time. So I apologize I know some seriously demented people and that you had the misfortune of interacting with them. I would like to make this up to you, if you would allow it.

I would like to have dinner again in the near future, perhaps later on this week if you are able to. Also, I believe it would be appropriate for me to meet your parents soon as well. It would not be wise to court without first having the consent of your father, so I would like to arrange to do that as well.

Please write me back so we may arrange everything.

Sincerely,

Lord Ciel Phantomhive'

Ciel set his quill down, glancing over the letter to double check his spelling and grammar. When he was satisfied with how it looked, he folded it, and sealed it in a proper envelope. He set it to the side, making a mental note to remind Sebastian to send it out later on. He closed his eyes, resting the back of his head on the back of the chair. It had been a far more exciting day than he had anticipated, and he was ready for it to be over. Between dinner with Hope and Grell's unexpected arrival (and of course the problems that brought), Ciel was mentally exhausted. He knew it was going to be quite the task trying to figure out where the souls were disappearing to, especially before anyone else fell victim.