Chapter 13: An Honor

Last chapter everyone! Hope you all enjoy the conclusion!

Special thanks to my best friend, Ally, for all the help she gave me with my indecision for this chapter. Without you, this could've been a very different ending. :P

Author's note to follow!

****************************************************************************

                A few months had past since Hope's illness, and it was now late spring. She had made almost a full recovery from her illnesses; she occasionally felt an after effect from the pneumonia, but was in over all great health compared to what she was in back then. It hadn't been a fun process, but the contract with Ciel had worked in her favor. In many ways.

Today was a big day. Her parents were throwing a dinner party to celebrate her engagement to Ciel. It had happened a few weeks ago, and it had been the happiest few weeks of her life yet. All of her family and few close friends would be at this party and would be meeting Ciel for the first time. Honestly, it was a bit unnerving, but Hope wasn't too worried about it. The opinions of most of the people attending meant nothing to her, and regardless if they approved of him she was going to marry him anyways. Her parents adored him, especially since they were under the impression he had a bunch of doctors save her life. Really in the grand scheme of things their opinions were the only ones who mattered. She could go without the rest of her family, and she could make new friends, although she hoped it didn't come to that.

The girl sat in her room in front of her mirror, Sophie standing behind her pinning her recently curled hair up. As time ticked by, Hope was finding it harder to sit still. She was too excited. "How much longer do I have to sit here?" she inquired, trying her hardest to not sound rude.

"I only have a few more strands, miss," Sophie replied. "You'll be done in no time. We'll get you in your dress after that, and you'll be ready to go." Hope shifted uncomfortably in her chair, trying to get her back to stop aching for a moment, but said nothing to Sophie. The maid took this as an opportunity to speak again. "Are you going to wear those gloves with your dress? How will you show off your ring if it's covered?"

Hope had been wearing gloves that covered her wrists whenever it was possible. Trying to keep her Faustian contract with Ciel hidden wasn't easy. The seal was on the inside of her left wrist, and it would be all too visible without the gloves. She hoped at some point in the future she would get a thick bracelet to wear over it, but for now this was going to have to suffice. "I'll wear it over the gloves like I am now," she answered, raising her hand so Sophie could see.

Sophie pinned the last strand of hair as she looked at her lady's hand. "I suppose that works out nicely. Should match your dress well enough too," she replied. "Let's get you ready."

While Hope was relieved to be standing, she wasn't happy about being squeezed into a corset and all the layers of slips, petticoats, and dresses. When the last layer was securely in place, Hope was already ready to take them off. That would have to wait a few hours, at least; for now she had a party to attend and a fiancé to introduce to many people. With a quick glance in the mirror, she was off to go await Ciel's arrival.

Or at least she thought she was going to have to wait for him. As she was coming down the stairs, she saw Ciel standing in the foyer talking to her parents and brother, along with Sebastian and the other servants from the Phantomhive manor. From the corner of his eye, Ciel caught a glimpse of her coming down the stairs and he turned to look at her. Hope finally reached where he was standing, and smiled at her fiancé sweetly.

"You're early," she greeted.

"I wanted to see you before the party," Ciel answered. "I thought you would like to see each other before everyone started showing up and we had to be social."

Hope's smile grew. He knew her so well. She pulled the young man into a tight embrace before she responded, "You would be right in that regard."

"The cuteness is killing me," Bardroy said from behind them, which caused the two to separate from their embrace.

"They really are adorable," Finny agreed.

Mey-Rin merely nodded while Sebastian shot them all a warning glance. Before anyone else could say anything else, Sebastian noticed a carriage pull up. "It would seem the guests are arriving," he pointed out. "We'll excuse ourselves to the ballroom, and will see you shortly." He bowed at his waist, and ushered himself and the other servants out of the room.

"That butler of yours is quite amazing at his job," Lady Whitlock stated.

Hope saw a smirk appear on Ciel's face. "What can I say?" he mused. "He's simply one hell of a butler."

"Indeed he is," Lord Whitlock agreed. "Shall we go greet the guests?"

The next half hour or so was filled with lots of introductions, hugs, and awkwardness as Hope and Ciel, along with her parents greeted every single family member and friend who decided to attend the party. Hope was sure she wasn't the only one relieved when the last carriage pulled away, and the last guest made their way inside. Dinner went on without much incident, and before she knew it, music was playing and everyone was dancing and chatting amongst themselves.

While the attention wasn't completely on them, Hope looked over at Ciel. "It would seem as so far everyone seems to like you," she stated. "And in this family, I would dare say that's a huge compliment. One of my cousins married a prince, and no one was impressed with him."

"That's encouraging. I was worried they would all hate me," Ciel replied.

Hope shook her head. "I think my parents put in enough good words for you to pass judgment. They all think you brought a team of doctors in to fix me or something." She smiled and laughed a little bit. "If only they knew our little secret they probably wouldn't be so keen on this."

"That's why it's a secret," Ciel added with a wink. His smile faded a little as he sighed. "It would seem we are a match made in heaven."

"Or hell," Hope added, a smirk plastered to her face.

Ciel smiled as he shook his head. "Yes, or hell." He placed his hand on top of hers gently. "I don't suppose I could've picked a better woman to make my bride. When I first met you I was so dark and pessimistic... and you gave me hope... no pun intended."

Hope felt her eyes start watering, and she fought back happy tears. She was sure her face was flushing red despite her best attempts to remain calm. "Oh, Ciel... It's an honor, really," she said, a huge smile on her face.

The young man's smile never faltered as he stood, still holding tightly onto her hand. "Now, shall I have the honor of dancing with you for the first time as your betrothed?"

Hope nodded enthusiastically and stood as well. The two of them made their way to the dance floor hand-in-hand, and began to spin around the room happily amongst the other friends and family who were dancing.

As she stared into the eyes of her future husband, Hope couldn't have been any happier that she had bumped into him at the party back around Christmas time. A lot had happened since then, and she was certain without meeting him, Hope wouldn't be alive to be dancing with anyone, let alone him. Faustian contract aside, Hope was truly ecstatic that she would be able to spend her future with Ciel and all the excitement that came with it.

Even if it meant one day he may have to devour her soul.

For now, however, that day was far off, and she had no need to dwell on it. They were both happy, and that was all that mattered.