Chapter 5: First Impressions

Hey everyone! Sorry it took so long! Things have been crazy around here recently, but I hope I have finally shaken all of it and gotten back on track. Hope you enjoy this!

***********************************************************************************

Ciel approached the front doors of the Whitlock estate, Sebastian following closely behind him. After a few days of careful planning, he was finally having dinner with Hope and her family. Admittedly, Ciel was uncharacteristically nervous about the whole ordeal. He had never had to ask for permission to court someone's daughter before. His engagement to Elizabeth had been arranged by his parents and hers; he never had to worry about that. Now he had to focus on trying to make a good first impression on Hope's family. He was sure it was within the realm of possibility, Ciel just needed to make sure he said everything correctly and didn't let his ego get the better of him.

                He stopped in front of the door, taking a deep breath before he knocked a few times. Ciel only waited a few moments before the large wooden doors opened, revealing a familiar looking man standing on the other side of the door. Ciel recognized the man as Hope's tutor, Benedict- the same man who had attended the Christmas party with her, as well as their last dinner. Admittedly, through his limited interactions with him, Ciel was not Benedict's biggest fan, but he decided early on to be polite anyways.

                "Good afternoon, Lord Phantomhive," Benedict greeted, bowing slightly at the waist. "Miss Whitlock will be most pleased to see you. Right this way."

                Ciel and Sebastian followed Benedict into the home. Benedict took both their coats, hanging them appropriately before leading Ciel and Sebastian down a hallway. After a few minutes, Benedict stopped at another set of doors. He knocked to announce their arrival before opening the doors to what Ciel soon realized was the formal dining room. Ciel's eyes immediately locked with Hope's, and a small smile crept across his face. The girl sat at the end of the table, while her parents sat at the opposite end.

                "Lord and Lady Whitlock," Benedict began, "Lord Phantomhive has arrived. Shall I instruct Gordon to finish dinner preparations?"

                "Yes, as we have much to discuss," Lord Whitlock responded, his stare boring into Ciel's forehead. As Benedict bowed and exited the room, he spoke again. "Please... take a seat."

                Ciel said nothing to this, and took the seat next to Hope, while Sebastian moved silently to stand behind him, awaiting any order his young master could possibly give him. Ciel folded his hands gently on the table in front of him, quietly waiting to be spoken to again.

                "So Lord Phantomhive, it has come to our understanding that you are interested in courting our daughter. Is that correct?" Lord Whitlock questioned.

                "Indeed, that would be correct," Ciel responded. "It is the reason I requested to have this dinner. It would be inappropriate to continue seeing your daughter without first receiving your approval."

                Neither of the elder Whitlocks spoke for a few moments, debating silently how to respond to Ciel. "Precisely," Lady Whitlock answered, and then looked to her husband before speaking again. "Now, why should we allow you to court our daughter?"

                Ciel mentally rolled his eyes. Had they no clue who was sitting in front of them? There were so many reasons why they should allow him to see Hope. He couldn't be smug about his accomplishments and family name this time, though. He needed to make a good impression, otherwise this would end disastrously. Ciel took a deep breath, and a small smile formed on his face.