Chapter 5 : Santiago

For the following months it was the same routine. Billie and Esmae-rose meet in the morning, take the first two periods together, Esmae-rose abandons her during lunch to hang out with Ayman, they meet again in fourth period and she leaves her again after school. She wasn't really alone though. During lunch break, she would hang with Britney and in the third period (her favorite period) she had Santiago.

The next morning before going to first period the two girls walk past Santiago. Billie nods her head and Santiago does the same. Her face lowers as she smiles shyly. "Why are you suddenly smiling ?" wondered Esmae-rose.

"I'm not... " Billie walks away covering her cheeks with her hands. Esmae-rose notices Santiago and manages to read the room. "No way you like him that much !" blurted out Esmae-rose as she followed her friend.

"Esmae !"

"Oh my god !"

"Stop it !"

During lunch break, Billie waits for her temporary friend Britney. She finally sees her and walks up to her. " I was waiting for you at our usual spot." Britney turns around wrinkling her nose. "Why ?" She asks. Billie's arms cross and she lifts one eyebrow. Britney sighs loudly. "I'm not going to eat with you anymore, I found friends and I think you should too."

"I have friends." Argued Billie.

" Well that makes this easy, doesn't it ?" Britney turns back around.

During the third period Billie sits next to Santiago. "Are you going to make this your usual spot ?" jokes Santiago.

"You were right about Britney."

"You should've just stopped the first time you saw her act like that." advised Santiago.

" I just thought she changed. I mean she voluntarily sat with me during lunch." continues Billie. Santiago looks at her and sighs. "I've been meaning to ask you this for a while." adds Billie before being interrupted by one of Britney's minions.

" Santiago, come sit with us !" says Maya.

"You can go. We can talk after." Billie looks away and waves her hand signaling him to go. Suddenly her chair is pulled in the opposite direction she's looking. Santiago pulled her chair so close to his that if she leaned in even a little she could feel his breath and maybe even feel his lips on hers.
He smelled like cologne but not too much that it'd be overwhelming. His hair also smelled nice, he must've had washed his hair recently, guessed Billie. From her eye level, she could only concentrate on his lips. His smooth plump lips. If they were alone, she would've already had a taste of them. Unfortunately for her, they weren't.

"Give me a sec'." proposed Santiago. His eyes look down and finally meet those of Billie. She gasps and chokes on her own saliva.

"You're alright ?" He chuckles.

"Yeah,no I'm fine."

"What did you want to ask me ?"

Billie straightens herself and backs up a little from him. " That day...I saw you with another man and you two looked like you were arguing.."

"Oh that...I had a small argument with the landlord..."

"He slapped you.."

Santiago scratches the back of his head, he chuckles embarrassed. " I used someone else's name instead of mine and he found out, that's all."

"Vitenza.."

Santiago stops scratching and glares at Billie with piercing eyes. "Did I say something I shouldn't ?" asks Billie.